A good air cpu heatsink under $50

I was going to get a shrunken because its the exact dimensions I need for a special case mod, but I was wondering what cooler I should get (under $50) my phenom II stock heatsink won't cut it for OC, its fine right now since my pc is sitting on-top of a air conditioner but it won't cut it when I go home from my dorm (temps are already kinda high as is)

so lets hear your opinions

I have a Phenom II X3 720, stock 2.8GHz currently @ 3.4GHz

I'm going to later invest in some Arctic silver 5 since I just have leftover gunk from 3 different cpu's on the heat sink, which isn't helping

look at the V6gt and V8 very good coolers also the NHd14 or NHC14 if you wanna go crazy get the v10:D

can you mount a V6 on an amd socket in the upside-down and right angle to the ground positions? I have little experience with mounting third party fans.

i dont know:/ haha i have little experience too and i dont believe newegg tell u which way to position lol

well I meant like can the mother board be upside down and sideways because I heard that it might bend the motherboard from the pressure

most likely because these cpu's are VERY heavy and you dont want it hanging upside down anyway because then its not making good contact with the cpu i usually have me pc standing straight up or on its right side so the weight of the cooler makes more contact(;

I have mine sitting on top of a box air conditioner pumping 10c air into it I guess the high temps are because its upside down

probably id say lay it on the side that the motherboard is on so the weight of your heatsink cools it

ambient temps raised by 10c cpu temps relatively the same, cpu fans spinning 200 more rpm

wait do you have a third party cooler or a stock cooler? cuz the stock cooler are not usually to heavy! but i recommend you open ur window a 1/2" to 1" at night so the room cools down or kick up the A/C then put some silen-x fans in there(: haha that will bring ur temps down!

stock, I'm going to get that v6 next $65 I make, then some case fans, and then the Shuriken for the special case mod, lol just noticed that spellcheck changed Shuriken into shrunken above

this is what I was talking about

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185097&cm_re=shuriken-_-35-185-097-_-Product

lol thats gonna be one epic build but u could also get the Hyper 212+ and stick a second fan on it. its only $30! and good choice on the coolers!

I've got the V6GT installed in my AMD system, and it's blowing all the air out the back of the case. In other words, you shouldn't have a problem with the orientation of the heatsink.

my friend savage showed me this and I think I might get it instead

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

it has direct heatpipe contact so I've heard that's very good

I hope you mean the Hyper 212+ instead of the Scythe Shuriken.

get the scythe mugen 2 and put it in push pull confid it beats out most of the top end coolers like the v10

heres the link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185142

razerboi said:

get the scythe mugen 2 and put it in push pull confid it beats out most of the top end coolers like the v10

heres the link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185142

I agree. I have the Mugen 2, I used it on my 1055t @ 4GHz, temps were nice and cool. Two fans makes it even better.

I was considering the Scythe Mugen 2 for a while, but I decided to go with the V6GT instead. Overclocked my Phenom II 940 to 3.7Ghz and I haven't seen temps get over 52C.

for an update, the Hyper 212+ with some arctic silver 5 gets me 35c max load on a Phenom II X3 C2 2.8GHz @3.6GHz and an Idle of 22c, I am very amazed at its performance for only $35! Currently only using one fan on the Heat sink.

GigaBuster.exe said:

for an update, the Hyper 212+ with some arctic silver 5 gets me 35c max load on a Phenom II X3 C2 2.8GHz @3.6GHz and an Idle of 22c, I am very amazed at its performance for only $35! Currently only using one fan on the Heat sink.

im not sure if your following my peltier build, but im using the coolermaster hyper tx3 (basicaly the one you posted, but 3 heat pipes instead of 4... and its about 15 dollars) i have to say, it manages to cool very well... hot side of that TEC is getting close to 100c and the heat sink cools it down like a beast.... the TEC its self is pulling 92 watts of power... most cpu's pull less then that, and the high end ones only pull about 10 to 20 more watts... but they dont convert it all to heat... so yea.. the heatsink your looking at will DEFINITELY get the job done!!!