A few questions before I give Linux a shot

Definitely give Linux it's own drive. Windows has the tendency to wreck perfectly good Linux partitions when installed after it or if it ever needs to be reinstalled. A separate drive can safely be unplugged while Windows does its thing.

1 Like

If you ever have a bootloader problem, Super-Grub-2 CD is epic. I broke the boot loader on my most important server (Proxmox one) once, and I would have probably had to reinstall Linux without Super-Grub-2.

THING TO REMEMBER ABOUT SSDS:

DO NOT MAKE A SWAP FILE ON AN SSD. DO NOT. JUST DONT. ITS A BAD IDEA.

Choose "Something Else" for your partitioning in a Linux installer, and make sure there's no swap. Use a normal HDD for swap.

Take a clonezilla image of your disks before you go install Linux. :)

1 Like

Yeah I was considering this route and making it swappable via one of the front drive bays.

Its going well everyone. Thanks making this thread active.

The only major problem I am having is with my 3TB HDD. Its NTFS with GPT to get the full 3TB. I'll take a detailed look into it after work but it seems Lunix can only interact with it in a 'read-only' manner, which rules out playing Don't Starve. I'm definitely taking @Aryvandaar 's advice backing ip before I mess with it. I'm vaguely aware of UDF. In any case I'm grateful for suggestions on Universal file systems or partitioning my HDD (not ideal).

(Also I have to set up both displays everytime linux boots. Ie doesn't save position non-volatile)

I believe you can get write access if you install the ntfs-3g library - however, I don't think you can execute binaries from ntfs at all in Linux, so that would be useless for you anyways.