A decent Mobo for VFIO?

Hello there,

I would really want to get into VFIO to do some gaming without having to use Windows 10 for most things proprietary to Microsoft but I am unsure where to start in regards to a good motherboard for it. I am thinking about getting a high end B450 mobo or a X470 Motherboard, maybe a X570

This is the motherboard(s) I am considering the
ASRock X470 Taichi
ASRock X570 EXTREME4

I heard these are good motherboards with decent grouping from r/VFIO on reddit.

If so how good has it been to you guys?

Do you guys have any other recommendations from ASRock, ASUS, MSI or GIGABYTE?

Best luck I’ve had with VFIO is a Xeon powered Asus X79 Sabertooth. Almost everything in its own IOMMU group. Was able to pass through two different GPU and two different USB controllers to different guests, simultaneously.

My Gigabyte x399 on the other hand is awful for VFIO, only one slot works for GPU passthrough, all the others generate a VFIO module error that no one seems to have documented.

So my experience with VFIO is a win for team Intel and loss for team AMD.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.

I want to get an AMD Mobo though

1 Like

Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WIFI user here, and can attest X79 is the most mature when it comes to VFIO.

Out of the AM4 options, The Asrock X570 Taichl is looking good right now since Gigabyte recently had an IOMMU regression with the latest BIOS updates. Ryzen 3000 currently has IOMMU issues with the USB devices on the CPU, but the chipset is fine, which is the critical thing.

2 Likes

Huh, that’s odd, my ASRock x399 Taichi works fine for vfio, as did my x370, but maybe they had more firmware revisions? But I don’t think it’s the x399 platform as a whole

The x370 must have had like 10 available bios roms, and the x399 had a couple last I checked?

So maybe the system is not great, but the vendors compensate? Or they rush the stuff out the door before it’s ready?

The last intel board I have is a gigabyte z97, and it is now happily doing NAS duty.
I really like their dual bios feature