A curated list of amazing open source software you may have not heard of

Just found this awesome utility for veiwing GPU utilization: radeontop

quick demo with a my game and vsync ON vs OFF, with a RX 6750 XT :

Summary

(recorded with OBS, edited in kdenlive)

4 Likes

Can appreciate the simplistic UI. No flash, concise.

1 Like

I don’t see darktable on here and I should.

4 Likes

+1 for radeontop. I have it up all the time on one of my monitors.
BTW, you can toggle colored bars by pressing “C”. :slight_smile:

1 Like

oh neat! even better

Just a heads up, looks like The Simple Tools Suite has been sold to a company called ZipoApps, who are known to inject ads and tracking in other apps they have acquired.

Time to fork?

edit: In light of this unfortunate news, I rescind my previous recommendation of this suite. @vivante please remove Simple Tools from the list.

I am happy for the developer to make money, but its clear that ZipoApps is not to be trusted looking at their other apps and website. Their only goal is to acquire and take advantage of existing user bases. These apps will certainly be enshittified within the next few updates, and according to some recent reviews on the play store it’s already began. The “contains ads” tag has already been added to all the simple tools…
enshittification

2 Likes

I recently setup Stirling PDF, Jellyfin, MeTube, Airsonic, Calibre-Web, draw.io, Invidious, FreshRSS, and LibreTranslate.
I think those are all open source anyway, I might be wrong about that though…if I’m wrong then feel free to remove this post or whatever but I’ve been vibin’ on the homelab/self-hosted stuff lately and these have all been pretty great

1 Like

I really wish developers would adopt a business model centered around donations, Patreon contributions, or offering a premium version that maintains the same functionality but only costs a few Euros. I’m sad to see it go.

But then again, maybe it’s not enough to pay for the development.

2 Likes

Thanks,

I’m looking for apps/utilities in this thread, but those would be great contributions to self hosted thread.

1 Like

Freecad…

1 Like

Cnc/machine controller

1 Like

While it seems that Gnome is at war with its extensions ecosystem, I find there a a couple that make Gnome really work for me as a daily desktop.

I like:

• “system-monitor” or, if you’re on the bleeding edge, “system-monitor-next” (updates quickly to any new version of gnome).
  • “Internet Radio” (although they seemingly have succumbed to gnomes relentless API updates)
  • “docker”, in case you want easy access to your docker containers/images
  • “Sound Input & Output Device Chooser” also succumbed to the latest API update, but offered the easiest way to switch between sound devices in Gnome.
2 Likes

Since the SMT suite has been killed by ZipoAPPS, the new fork is under FossifyX/FossifyOrg: Fossify · GitHub

Get in there if you want a vote on the new name:

1 Like

This link is floating around a couple threads already but might be worth adding to the end.

There is naturally some overlap between the tools mentioned here, and the ones in the “Awesome Privacy” repo.

4 Likes

Added K-9 Mail, it will eventually become Thunderbird for Android.

Added restic

5 Likes

+1 for k9 mail. meant to post that, been using it for years.

2 Likes

Hope they don’t change the ui.

3 Likes

Added WinNUT-Client.
Works with Synology NAS as NUT server just fine.

I recently moved to Thunderbird as my desktop mail client. No contest with Outlook, it’s so good, so fast, everything I could’ve hoped for and more! Though there’s just one thing I’m not used to anymore that Thunderbird does: replies to emails always spawn a new window. And the plugins to get the new “thread replies” are not that good in my opinion.

People are sleeping on Thunderbird and paying for email clients, so dumb.

2 Likes

On that note, seems good ole Thunderbird desktop isnt on the list yet!

[Linux, Windows, MacOS]

5 Likes