A CPU for a gamer?

e8400s are nice but why pay so much for a dual core when quads are so inexpensive these days.

Is the 940 worth the extra $20?
 I won't be overclocking.

i would say so.

Logan would say get the smaller CPU and a bigger GPU

Good, Intel is much better! Don't listen to those AMD fanatics :P

You can get a Q6600 for 199.99$ @ newegg.

Good one, nice to overclock, and hardcore in gaming when hit 3.2 GHz!

a q6600 isnt worth more than a phenom 2 940. thats nonsense, i wouldnt even consider it at that price, especally since you are not going to overclock and it will be just sitting at 2.4ghz.

Ohh...my mistake

Phenom ii 940 is great and pleas overclock it!! it's unlocked multiplier! it's begging to be overclocked! at least get to 3.4 ghz and for gaming  that's for sure it's the GPU that we should be talking aboutÂ

You should really take a look at AMD. The A2 550 and P2 920/940 are priced well and perform well. but if you hell bent on intel #1 Q9550Â #2 Q6600 if you must make the $200 limit. you cant go wrong with these CPU's.

I agree, depending on the intensity of your games (GTA IV, Crysis, etc) you would be fine with a AMD Phenom II X3 720 and overclock it in the future for extra performance. With the money you saved you can buy a realy good video card, wich is where most of the gaming performance comes from.

Not to mention that the Phenom II CPU's are both DDR2 and DDR3 compatible, and the AMD mobo's are cheaper than Intel's in general.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103649

Get a Phenom II X4 710, then get a mobo that supports [color=#ffffff]EC AOD-ACC and then you can unlock the 4th core for it and the CPU will work as a X4 920.[/color]

That's what I was going to say. Any thing higher than this CPU and you don't notice much of a diference in performance.

I actually found the X3 720 bottlenecking my Cards until about 3.3Ghz in the original Crysis. Not much though, only about 5 FPS.

The most recent benchmarks I've read comparing CPU's and gaming has shown that the optimum amount of Cores is 3. The 4th is rarely utilized in "most" games. Moreover, 3 active cores cuts down on heat, which will inherently allow for higher overclocks (on air).

I'm all about value, and from my vantage the AMD X3 710 or 720 is untouchable.

What card do you have? Also if your on stock cooling you might want to get an aftermarket cooler (like a dark knight) in order to overclock a little bit. Also if you have the right MoBo you could try unlocking the other two cores for a little extra performance.

I'm running 2 4890's in Crossfire X (1920x1200) on the Gigabyte 790fx Mobo. My 720 is cooled with the Vigor Gaming Monsoon 3. Clock is at 3.520 Ghz, the problem I'm running into is staying within recommended voltage and attaining higher then 3.6 Ghz seems... impossible.

I wont run higher then 3.42 Volts so I'm pretty much maxed out. In reality though, I'll never need more then my clock speed now, before I need a new cpu.

Ummm... 3.45 volts?

1.42V typo

The fourth cores are disabled for a reason.