A Couple of People Arguing

I dont really see why you shouldnt recommend Mint to new users.
Its still one of the better more stable and easy to use distributions out there.
And as far as security and kernel patches are concerned, as soon as Ubuntu rolls out security patches, they will show up in the Mint updater.
Mint18.1 has improved allot there.
However like with pretty much any distribution out there, its not not for everyone.

This thread. bless this thread.

5 Likes

A flame & random argument thread is the best thing ever

It's almost like software are tools, and everyone has different jobs to do, or something.

1 Like

It basiclly is.

that's the joke, I was agreeing with you

1 Like

Do I see some friendly fire?

/s

Wrong.

Dog Linux > everything else

1 Like

I would be glad to hear that my fears are either incorrect, or that they are based off of flaws that have since been corrected. If that is indeed the case, then I agree, Mint or Ubuntu or Fedora or...

... or Hannah Montana linux

1 Like

[I begin to type an angry response, wiping the chip grease from my fingers and setting the sausage like appendages to work on my Razerā„¢ keyboard, detailing very verbosely why you are wrong.
the body is riddled with misspellings and run-on sentences. Very little effort is put toward formatting and readability. I put on my walmart-brand trilby and cock it to the side as I press the button.]

"Heh, nothing Personnel, kiddo"

[Having blinded you with my genius, I smugly navigate to my favorite furry erotica site, and pleasure myself to images of dragons in the throes of coitus with automobiles.]

3 Likes

WIndows Vista Incapableā„¢

I've run Linux Mint recently, 18 release. I get updates to the kernel through the GUI updater. When you update the OS the first time it asks you whether you want to install those kernel updates by default, at least, as of LM18.

Completely agree with you on LM and Ubuntu, though. Only reason I've managed LM systems recently is because they're for other people :(

The main advantage of Linux Mint is having something (albeit not community run) that's not run by Canonical. Also the hardware support is excellent as far as I'm aware, about as good as Solus. But, I'd recommend Solus for all aforementioned reasons in this thread.

I don't disagree with you. Going back to my original comment, I just didn't think that argument was relevant considering it was over a year ago and they've made a number of updates to the distro itself and to their website to try to fix all those issues :S

TFW you defend a distro so you must be in love with it :P

1 Like

Vista is decades ahead of linux. Linux doesn't even have UAC prompt even in 2017...

1 Like

Install Gentoo

https://youtu.be/52lp9cO5dGQ

1 Like

If you guys are still having problems with mint, have you considered more savoury alternatives such as rosemary or parsley?

1 Like

i don't know, i'd still recommend Mint to new users, regardless of the Dick-stro waving that goes on. i've used it when i was just starting out on trying Linux, and it was helpful.

Everyone should start and end with Linux from scratch

Anything else is inferior in every conceivable way

/s

Also this thread:

2 Likes

NO IT ISN'T!!!

Mint is fine.
Solid base for new users and advanced users can work their way around so they don't care which distro they use anyway.

...no wait this was the argu thread...

Mint is now deemed insecure because lazy people didn't validate the downloads properly back when Mints' website was breached.
Also Mint lags behind on updates.
Unlike bleeding edge distros which get patches several times a day, like Arch.
Patches that ain't thoroughly tested because who even does that? And more than likely are buggy as hell.
Security flaws are nothing but bugs in the software.
Also Mint doesn't have anything as convenient as the AUR: /anyone/ can push /any/ package to the AUR for /anyone/ to install, basically without needing to go through any qa, how great is that?
Yeah, Mint sucks.

3 Likes