A compendiary overview of Zypper {WIKI}

Ehhhhhhhhhh. IDK. I probably would not call it an apple or microsoft thing, but it does seem rather similar.

Fedora and opensuse usually are pretty good about working together and I would not be surprised if someone from opensuse helped make DNF.

Apt 1.1 could very well have preceded zypper lol. That project has been on the back burner for god knows how long.

1 Like

I forgot fedora switched to DNF. Yeah sorry about the bad microsoft/apple pun I was not being serious. APT1.1 is a bit retarded in my opinion. I do not like apt. I never really liked it. Ubuntu seems to break quite frequently for some odd reason. Probably too bleeding edge. LTS is actually pretty stable though.

Maybe you could write a wiki on DNF? and we can compare differences

No need.

DNF functions exactly like YUM.

All the differences are under the hood.

And the thing about apt is that it is old as shit. So its fairly advanced for being so old. The issue (or at least the way I understand the issue) is that a bunch of people want to work on apt and improve it, but very few changes are even permitted and even fewer are considered for release.

That is why apt 1.1 is kind of exciting because it is the first real face lift we have seen for apt in forever.

And when I talk about apt, I am only talking about it in relation to debian.

Ubuntu is broken, cause ubuntu has gone so far downhill it is not even funny. They spend more time forking software that does not need to be forked than they do improving their distro and taking care of known bugs.

Thats why mint is so popular. Mint tries to clean up the mess ubuntu leaves behind and adds a nice DE.

2 Likes

Awesome thank you! ☺

Tis sad. you see all the other guides that got tons of attention around but werent Wikid.. do you know how beautiful they would be if they were. LOL Also it is kinda sad. It looks like tutorials used to get a lot of attention when it was a new section. Now not so much..... oh well hope someone finds it useful.

Are you considering the wonders and amazingness of OpenSuse @MisteryAngel

I downgraded to Firefox 41 from 43 on Fedora 23...

1 Like

Relevance?

@cynicrf You sir deserve a cookie, thanks for the overview/tutorial of zypper :)

1 Like

Your welcome. I hope it helps you in your opensuse explorations

1 Like

I was answering the meme. :)

Thanks for the overview. It was well put together. I will be looking into SUSE soon in my distro hop machine, which is currently running Fedora 23

1 Like

bump.
We want to encurrage our users to make more of this stuff.
Its pretty helpfull for me, because i was finaly able to get a bit farther with Open Suse.

2 Likes

Haha I could write more but life I'd exhausting write now lol

Holy frack.. Sometimes I surprise myself on how well I can do things.. I almost forgot about this thing

1 Like

Yeah i´m seriously concidering trowing open suse on my laptop.
Because its rock sollid.

It doesn't break.. I keep telling people this. If I need a will not break distro and don't want to fall into the normal Debian crowd. I'd role openSUSE any day. I only experiment with Ubuntu well cuz it's Ubuntu and I like watching their slow sometimes odd work on their ui

1 Like

And it's got a nice green theme that's consequently applied throughout all the main applications... het oog wil ook wat lol
And Geeko is the nicest mascotte of any distro... that's what did it for me I must admit!
But seriously, SuSE has always been the major distro that has always delivered the nicest KDE implementation out of the box, and Yast is just great, and so is snapper.

2 Likes

YaST takes management to the enterprise grade level of management vs consumer.. Like there is nothing quite like it

1 Like

Actually Mandrake had a similar tool, it's still there in the Mandrake heritage distros. It's not as powerful as Yast though.

Larger Corporate backing and enterprise experience tends to help huh

Also a very nice thing about open suse is that they keep a very large software database on their website.
If you are looking for software that isnt in their standard repo´s,
you could just go to their website and do a search.
Big chance that you will find what you are looking for directly available as rpm´s.
Which you could simply download, and install with yast, which is pretty neat.

Yeah plus all of the Microsoft money that OpenSuSE gets every year.
There has always been a lot of criticism about the decision back in the day to sell out to Corel Corporation, but Corel Corporation did invest heavily in SuSE and launched it by making it easier to use and learn, and when Corel almost went bust and Novell took over, SuSE benefited enormously from Novell's leading networking status.
All the right buttons were pushed, and there always has been enough money available to make everything happen. Also the build service and the free cloud trials of online homebrew distros, that costs so much money that other distros can't afford it, it's as simple as that.

1 Like