Return to Level1Techs.com

A better social network?

I’m just spit-balling ideas here so bare with me:

Random thought on funding a new Social media platform… How about bundling the site with services that people might actually be willing to pay for like a VPN, Anonymous payment services, Encrypted End to End E-mail, Encrypted Communication App, Disposable Email addresses, Virtual Phone Numbers, etc.

Then anyone using paid services can have invites for free accounts that they can use to bring other people on to the social media portions of the platform. Also the invite model is unique whereas, everyone else is responsible for who they invite and you can keep track of that. Someone brings on a spammer or something and you can ban both. Might keep people more civil.

Everyone else here is right, funding this new platform is going to take a stream of money. And we’re not even talking about making the platform profitable, we’re mostly talking keeping the lights on.

I haven’t heard of it, I’ll check it out.

Interesting Idea here, I like it. Privacy is the main focus on this site. So this isn’t anything bad at all.

This is a great idea.

There are a bunch of these advertisement companies. Heres another very common (Buzzfeed) one that my partner used to watch before she followed me in removing herself off social media.

Here is a video on how bad these channels are by a professional cook.

Ham Radio?

This forum? idk :confused:

The days of a quintessential monolithic social network is breaking down to smaller interests groups. Facebook is past its prime and IMHO will be obscure within a few years as the active users shifts to something else i.e smaller and fits their social needs, or perhaps stop using FB actively.

Of course there will be those with narcissistic traits whom will be screaming out in the void to 5 people and to the other 500 “friends” whom have muted them, and those who are late to the party.

Apologies for spelling and possibly not being coherent. I am really drunk after a New Years party.

Two other thoughts came to my mind when I read this thread. What is Tim Berners Lee doing with his project? I can’t say that I understand his very convoluted text but giving back the control to the user sounds like a good idea (if it works).

Youtuber N-O-D-E posted something about helping a project that concerns a decentralized web. For really small groups that share and interest that could be a way forward to regain privacy/ being anonymous on internet. If its technically possible.

I tried to set up a diaspora pod yesterday and couldn’t get the Centos instructions to work.

Failed when it went to download the thing with CURL.

I’ll give it another go, but maybe their instructions are broken.

Specifically, this step fails:

[[email protected] ~]$ curl -L https://s.diaspora.software/1t | bash
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:--  0:01:00 --:--:--     0

ref: https://wiki.diasporafoundation.org/Installation/CentOS/7#Creating_a_user_for_DB

edit:

Giving it another shot, looks like i’m getting progress, will update a bit later. Maybe was a network problem yesterday somewhere.

I’ve been thinking of how to deal with user verification over the last few days without having to use an ID or DL to verify the users.

The only thing I could really come up with was for some trusted initial users to send out invites and have them verify the new users since they would be somebody that they know, but this really hampers the growth of the site and I’m not sure if it is something I wanna go forward with.

Yes, this is a hard problem to solve. I feel that people would be willing to pay a small fee for a advertisement free, premium social experience that still values your privacy.

We don’t want to know everything about you, just what content you want to be provided. We can shape the ads and site experience around that.

Sure, facebook makes a killing off of knowing EVERYTHING about you, and they source content for your feed to build interactions.

We’re doing kinda the opposite. You tell us what YOU want to see, we’ll do our best to bring it to you. You remain in control of your feed, content, and account at all times. Facebook owns all the content you post, upload, share even if you share those silly posts about ‘I don’t give facebook permission’ blah blah blah stuff.

Sounds like you’re working on a clone of Silence. With encryption, I would advise against reinventing the wheel unless you really know what you are doing.
If there is something that Silence does not do well enough, maybe work on a patch for that and try submitting it upstream?

As for the distributed sites thing, you might want to take a look at how much Hubzilla overlaps with what you have in mind; it tries to be a bit more general-purpose than Diaspora AFAIK.

Silence isn’t readily available on all app stores and lacks a number of features. It is also a fork of what is now known as Signal. Signal being a little more feature rich though lacking again in some areas. It also relies on a third party server. They are also only supporting a handful of countries. There are also some discrepancies between the git repo for Silence and the actual app. Network connections being made where there shouldn’t be, calling home from my tests.

The largest thing these apps are missing is self destructive SMS, similar to Wickr. I personally don’t see any reason why either of them should require internet access.

Edit, it appears Silence is in the app store, though not for me locally. It also appears to have fallen with regards to updates and no longer functions for a number of people

I’m curious, are you talking about the F-droid version? IIRC, F-droid actually builds the app on the server-side; do you mean that the F-droid source tarball is different from the repo on Github or it’s source releases?

If so, that might be worth warning F-droid about.