A beginner seeking for help! 2000€ computer build (AMD)

Alright, so the years have changed and time has passed, and i’ve came to the situation that i want to build a gaming pc!
I’ve worked hard this summer to gather some money, and finallly im (soon) able to enjoy games without them running on 20fps , or dark souls 3 dlc not running on my pc… There is just one problem, i don’t know what parts my gaming pc needs to fulfill my requirements… That’s why im seeking help from here!
Some people have suggested parts for my computer, but i still dont have the build ready… I hope that after this post i would have a final anwser for my pc build :3

NOTE!
I am ordering the parts from my country(Finland) from Jimms, since we cannot order from mindfactory anymore, and they are going to build it for me also. What this means shortly is that some parts might be a bit more expensive, but don’t worry about it :smiley: And i can check the prices of the parts if you just tell me what i need to order !

What is the pc for/What does it need to do?
It is just for gaming and surfing. No editing, streaming or what so ever.

Budjet?
Preferrably near 2000 euros, but if it needs, then i can go for 2500euros(max)
So now that we have the backstory somewhat covered, let’s get into the dream build for me, shall we?:grinning:

Why my budjet is 2000€ ? You could go cheaper?
Yeah i could, but i want to use a bit more money now, rather than upgrade this pc every second month… :japanese_ogre:

My main requirements for the gaming pc:
-Needs to run games on very good/enjoyable graphics (Mostly Dark souls 2,3)
-Does not need to be updated in like 5 years… preferrably…

Now, like i said, some people have helped me and given some information and i know a few parts that are supposed to be good for this build, so im going to list them, but if you find something bad or even good to say about them, let me hear! Im here to learn so i could know more!

The parts:

Case :
Fractal Design Define R5 BlackOut Edition (with the side glass)
or
Fractal Design Meshify C ( i fell in love with this one when i saw the review!)

Cpu:
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, AM4, 3.4 GHz, 8-core ( I was told that this is gonna serve me better than intel, if we think about future, and still be able to rock every game without a problem!)

Gpu: So this is where it gets tricky for me, i was told not to build my pc yet because i was told that i should wait for vega releases, and nobody never told me which vega i should get. I just know that i should get vega :sweat_smile:
So… Is vega way to go…? I don’t mind waiting for a bit , since this is a big buy for me. But i need to wait like 2 months vega to come out, then i’d rather go with some other gpu…

Motherboard: Here i need help too, only thing that matters for me is that the mboard is good and i can assemble Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX soundcard ( I was adviced to buy this soundcard for better sound, i bought studio headphones already). So any suggestions…?

RAM : Criteria: fast… :slight_smile: Suggestions?

Power supply : SeaSonic - PRIME Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
if 750w is too much for my build i can go with 650 w too, right?

TLDR : Building a pc i’ve been dreaming for a while, want to enjoy games and music, don’t know what parts to get, asking help from you !

If there is something that i forgot to tell (which there definetly is…) just ask! I’ll try to anwser as fast as i can!
And don’t mind about my english, it’s not the best but i hope you understand what im trying to say :sweat_smile:

CPU: I am with you on the 1700X, it is an amazing CPU
Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S is nice and quiet. Keeps the 1700X cool.
Mobo: ASRock X370 Taichi, with your budget, this is the one.
RAM: GSkill TridentZ 2x8GB (Samsung B-Die and so on)
SSD: Samsung 960Evo 250GB
HDD: WD Gold 2TB (enterprise version of the black, but somehow cheaper?)
Case: I like the Meshify C, looks good!
Casefans: Noctua 140mm Redux PWM (I love those fans)

Soundcard/DAC wise: Soundcards are okay when you are short on desk space. But external DACs are allways better. Added the Soundblaster X-Fi to the PCpartpicker.

Leaves ~700€ spare for aftermarket Vega. Blower coolers suck!

As PCpartpicker: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/Wcb2yf

4 Likes

That’s it @MazeFrame got it all down. Only thing i would suggest wait till Vega gets out and then see. Maybe the 1080 gets a price drop. And pick what is better for you. Keep in mind G-Sync or Freesync also. The monitor is = important then the PC i hope you have a nice one.

2 Likes

@MazeFrame even left ya enough for an ultra wide, 1440 territory if you want to spend the full 2500… nice!

1 Like

Replace the shietty Noctua fans with Noiseblocker E-loop’s and you’re set.

Tired of seeing this Noctua crap all over the place. Noiseblocker B12-1 800rpm 8dBA 57.3 m³

As a AIO the beQuiet Silent Loop 280mm is also nice.

One thing I like is when they take one game and test various cpu’s and gpu’s on just that one game.

You can save a good amount of money by going with a Ryzen 5 1600. Six cores are plenty for gaming and general use.

You don’t really need a sound card.

I would want Vega reviews, but there is nothing wrong with going with a GTX 1070. The real question is what resolution is your monitor, and whether you are going to change it if it is a 1920x1080 display.

Vega and the GTX 1070 are a ton of power for a 1080p display and if you don’t plan on upgrading your monitor any time soon… then whatever card is the cheaper (and from a decent manufacturer with third party reviews available) one will do.

You could gain a small bit on a stable CPU overclock with liquid cooling, but the increase won’t translate to much gaming performance.

I don’t think a GPU will last five years without some serious drawbacks to your experience in only a few years. This is if things progress the way they are. Software will make use of current GPU performance, and GPU manufacturers will continue to push the limits of the hardware they make. Rinse-Repeat. Who knows, there may be a stall in development for the next couple of years… nah, who am I kidding. Video cards will continue to improve at a fast pace.

Do you hoard game installations? Store tons of video? If not, a 500GB SSD will be plenty. Mass storage can be added later if the need arises.

I added two 140mm for air intakes, there is a 120mm standard on the front… you would move that to the top as an exhaust.

Make sure the RAM you buy is Samsung B-Die. Always double check, triple check.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (€199.90 @ Caseking)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright - HR-02 Rev.A(BW) 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler (€53.84 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: ASRock - X370 Killer SLI ATX AM4 Motherboard (€142.06 @ Mindfactory)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (€152.93 @ Mindfactory)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€162.84 @ Mindfactory)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card (€486.89 @ Mindfactory)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case (€89.94 @ Mindfactory)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€85.23 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case Fan: Fractal Design - GP14-WT 68.4 CFM 140mm Fan (€9.11 @ Amazon Deutschland) <<Front Intake
Case Fan: Fractal Design - GP14-WT 68.4 CFM 140mm Fan (€9.11 @ Amazon Deutschland) <<Front Intake
Total: €1391.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-14 00:19 CEST+0200

Asking a question here: This is an inflated price for the GTX 1070, right? They should not be 500 Euros.

2 Likes

No need for the 1700 if you’re just gaming.

1 Like

TL;DR: R7 1700, 16GB RAM, RX Vega56.

Basically everything important has been said. So I’ll just give my two cents in addition.

The 1600(x) is nice but 33% more cores/threads for 100,- bucks is a no-brainer at your overall budget. The 8 core R7 are all the same with different stock clocks, so buy the cheapest and invest two minutes to dial in the OC.

16GB RAM is the sweetspot right now and getting a pair of fast sticks now gives you the option to add a second pair later.

For AMD GPUs you pretty much always want to go for the one below the top tier. Just look at the Fury vs FuryX. So Vega 64 is maybe a few percent faster but 20% more expensive. So it is a better idea to plan for switching GPU mid lifecycle of the system instead of buying a really expensive one upfront. (I am speculating here, so follow the benchmarks over the coming days)

Storage… whatever fits.
Soundcard… no.
RGB… no.
Case… black.
PSU… Seasonic.
Cooler/fans… Noctua.

That is what I always go for.

I always exceed minimum power requirement by 200W+. Leaves room for expansion and you will never reach max draw of the PSU. it also leaves room for overclocking. You will also stay within it prime efficiency curve.

If you want to go cheaper you can overclock a 1700 to higherspeeds. Better to have a AIO cooler if you go that route.

Go cheaper than that to a Ryzen 5 then drop down to a B350 board. Nobody knows the future. Will more than 6 cores be needed over the next 5 years? Doubtful. But there will always be a few cases that will for sure.

The first build recommended to you by @MazeFrame was well balanced for your price point. You will always have minimalists and enthusiast weigh in, but it really comes down to your budget and use case, but you don’t know exactly what you will be doing in 3 years, perhaps a little more than just a game box. So buy what is within your budget.

Well i could trow a couple of nice builds together eventually.
But honnestlly i think that @MazeFrame and @stconquest both,
have given some very nice options each their own way.

In terms of MazeFrame’s build, the 1700 (X) + Asrock X370 Taichi + G.skill TridentZ 3200mhz memory kits.
This is pretty much the go to combination that i could recommend to anyone who wants a full fledged Ryzen 7 system really.
Other very great motherboard to choose from, Asus Crosshair 6 Hero.

However Stconquest also shows that you could build a decent gaming system with less money.
The 1600 (X) overclocked is also going to give you a great gaming experiance, on which you could save some money.
The Asrock X370 Killer Sli basiclly fits the 1600 (X) cpu nicelly.
Allthough if you want a board with a littlebit nicer onboard audio, you might also look at the Asus X370-F strix gaming board, or Aorus X370 Gaming 5.
Because the Asrock X370 killer sli is using an alc892 chip, which is a littlebit less fancy then the alc1220 chip on a board like the Strix.
But other then that, a decent build.

3 Likes

Can’t confirm. A nice air cooler is just fine.

Uhhhhhhhhhh

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/BDPfbj

Some modifications can be made. I left GPU out.

Enjoy.

The best AM4 motherboards out there based on vrm implementation, build quality and features.

Highend:

• Asus Crosshair 6 Extreme.
  • Asrock X370 Professional gaming.
  • Asrock X370 Taichi.
  • Asus Crosshair 6 Hero.
  • Aorus X370 Gaming K7.

Midrange:

• Aorus X370 Gaming 5.
  • Asus X370-F Strix.
  • Asus X370 Prime pro.
  • Asrock X370 Gaming K4.
  • Asrock X370 Killer sli.
2 Likes

I 100% agree here…

I can confirm what noenken said about water cooling …my machine hasnt broken past 55 yet… even rendering unreal editor 4…it approaches 68 with cpu-z stress test.

EDIT: oh ya its a 1700 on x370 taichi with gskill flare-x 3200 ram…

1 Like

he’s never gonna reach the power limit of that particular PSU or run into other problems, even when overclocking to 4ghz. He’d need to be doing subambient overclocking for it to matter.

Also, you absolutely don’t need WC to hit 4ghz. Power delivery matters more. Just get a decent air cooler and save your money OP

The only problem I see with recommending the 1700X is, at least for the present state of gaming, that you will see more performance out of an i7 7700K because of the higher OC and slightly better IPC. That is why I strayed to the 1600. You will get similar performance to a 1700(X), but it is $100 cheaper than the i7 7700K.

Personally, I would go with a lower IPC and clock to gain the better multi-core performance in case I ever need it. Ryzen runs games well, that is enough for me.

… in 1080p, in some games and benchmarks but overall a smoother experience with Ryzen 5 or 7.
Digital Foundry has done lots of testing on that. I am overall with you: At this point I would say if there is anything you can do to “futureproof”, get more than 4c/8t.

2 Likes