A Beastly PSU needed

Good day honourable agents of the Syndicate.

I'm putting together a newish rig from old and new parts and the PSU needed is going to be a beast.

The hardware list will be something like this:

Asus Z9PE-D8

2x Intel Xeon E5-2620

32Gb of RAM

2x AMD R9 290 in CF (maybe more in the future..)

Asus Xonar DX

Some wireless network PCI-E card

6x mechanical HDD

2x SSD

A bunch of fans...

I've read up on the motherboard and it's picky on the needed power and requires 1x24pin, 2x8pin and a molex for additional power delivery just to the motherboard. Then there's the graphics cards and the sound card also require some additional power.

I've found a second hand Enermax Platimax 1500W (for about 300$) that seems to be a nice fit but what other options are there and is that a good PSU (always been a Silverstone user my self)?

Be very careful with the 290s I've seen mine use almost 400w each at absolute max load. For two way, you're looking at 1000w minimum. For 3 way, 1400w minimum. I have researched this topic and the enermax is an excellent choice. I own the lepa maxplatinum (almost same model) and its powering 3 way 290s. Other options I have heard about are the corsair ax1500i and the upcoming EVGA nex1500w refresh (supposedly its 1600w) but I'm unsure about the the release date.

What are you using the rig for?

I see you're using dual Xeons and dual 290s, so I assume budget is virtually infinite. Therefore, why not get 780 Ti's if you're gaming or a Titan/Quadro if you're rendering/computing? If you need Radeon parts specifically, consider 290X's instead because why not?

Are you going to watercool this system too? If you include multiple GPUs in the future, water-cooling becomes a viable option to maintain decent temperatures rather than relying on air coolers to dissipate the heat. If so, your rig will consume even more power than it already would be, just something to consider. And at this budget, unless you need extreme stability and reliability, water cooling would be very justifiable and in my opinion recommendable.

I would say you need around 1300 W give or take (1200 W at the bare minimum) to cater for everything (dual CPUs, multiple GPUs, half a dozen HDDs, fans, pump(s) maybe, etc). And definitely go at least gold efficiency if not platinum. Any reputable brand that sells high wattage platinum efficiency power supplies should be perfect. Some that come to mind are the Antec HCP-1300 Platinum and the Corsair AX1200i. Or, I would consider going dual power supplies if your case supports it.

I already own the R9 290's and have been using 3x24" 16:10 IPS in Eyefinity for quite some time so that's why I'm not going over to the green team.

A while back used my then main setup with 3x 7970 on a 1000W PSU :)

• i7 3930K @ 4.2Ghz
  • Asus P9X79 Deluxe
  • Corsair 32GB RAM
  • 3x 7970 in CF 
  • 3xHP ZR24W 24" IPS in Eyefinity
  • Samsung 830 256GB SSD
  • 4x 2Tb WD Green
  • Asus Xonar DX
  • Silverstone Fortress FT02B-W
  • Intel RTS2011LC+2xNoctua fans
  • Silverstone Strider 1000W-G PSU

I did crash once on full folding on the CPU and all the graphics cards :)

And on the budget, well I'm getting a bit over 2k$ in tax-refund and I'm mixing old, used and new parts...

Fair enough, I didn't read your original post well enough.

So what is this rig going to be used for? Gaming and folding?

Both Gaming, folding and a bit of playing with VM's.

Windows 8.1 makes that possible, the lower core clocks would have been an issue before but since I play older games or really new games with excellent multi-thread support it will probably work just fine.

How new is the Platimax? They are indeed very nice units. As for $300, I think that is a little steep. Since the mining boom as subsided a fair bit (well it has here in Oz anyway) you should be able to pick up other decent uber-high wattage units as a good price.

If you purchase new, some ones to look out for that will be around the $300 mark:

• Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 1000W ST1000G
  • SilverStone Strider Plus 1000W ST1000-P 
  • Silverstone Strider Plus 850W ST85F-P
  • Silverstone Strider Gold 850W ST85F-GS
  • Corsair RM-1000
  • Corsair RM-850
  • Seasonic X-850
  • Seasonic XP-1000
  • Seasonic X-1050

& others

I'm currently running an Silverstone Strider Gold ST1000G but that won't be enough by far for this and the Enermax Platimax 1500W I've found second hand for 300$ seems like the best bang for the buck that can handle the motherboard....

Why not grab another silverstone Strider Gold? I run a 1200 but if you need extra power there are ways including little cards that power on and off one PSU from the state that the other PSU is in. Otherwise you wont really find what you are looking for without going server class PSU's

I wonder how you did that then since the 290 only has a 6 pin and 8 pin connection it can draw at most 300 Watt of power.

That being said the current 1K PSu should be able to handle it as you can't overclock the cpu's.

Because that PSU is powering the machine I'm currently on?

Enermax is great stuf, if you willing to pay for it, then grab it. ☺

Don't buy the RM series from Corsair, they are overpriced and have cheap Chinese capacitors. And their thermal profile is too aggressive.

If you want beastly, buy the Corsair AX1500i, it's a Titanium (above Platinum) certified PSU, and call it a day.