A baudy Linux Hack: Hayes Modem modded to Linux Desktop (and modem time machine). | Level One Techs

maybe @wendell could help with that

i did not mean a witch hunt just a old fashion use of old fashion terms to disscribe the things that are going on.
for instance with a list as : https://textfiles.meulie.net/100/codegeek.txt to explain what kind of geek/nerd the other person is without losing one's temper or really damaging another person

no bad intentions

You want to start a geek registry and nomenclature for separating them??????
uhm, excuse me?????

Fascist much???????

2 Likes

There is a prebuilt jar in the downloads since building it is kind of stupid due to the UTF-8 BOM. If you're wondering how I got the JSON I'm submitting in the POST I just wiresharked a secondary vote. Looking at it, it seems like the selectedValue field corresponds to the person you want to vote for seeing as each option is given an ID and my selectedValue is Wendell's ID.

6 Likes

Aaaand L1T delivers

4 Likes

Oh wow that's dated. That file belongs on Wendell's modem.

I just saw this, way to go!

2 Likes

No sense of humor ??
missing a point ??

but, that was the joke

must have been a linquistical thing or a different sense of humor.....
i know !!!! i did not switch on sarcasm i gues, kinda sort of

I was aping the cadence and sentence structure of the very easily offended subset of users that frequent Tumblr and Facebook interest pages. Not something you'd really know about unless you'd been exposed to it I guess.

(also, your avatar pissed me off at first glance because I thought it was a minion until I looked more closely and realized it was a nixie tube, which I think is v Cool, lmao)

i don have facebook or any kind of social media thingy.
i am just a (old) nerd, but because i have kids i went with a minion avatar for a while to please them
( they have not seen the new one)
and last but not least Dutch humor is kind of a different beast

1 Like

see:

Yep, the criminals reached the same level of cyber securiy as the goverment, lets get back to the topic if you please

Awesome. I wasn't the oldest or youngest person there, but I was in the younger group. I was the youngest Sysop in town though, started my BBS when I was 12 and ran it until I was 18.

I wish I still had all my old BBS files, but I've only managed to save a subset of them...

I think I first dialed into BBSes on a modem very much like that Hayes, except it didn't have the outside case, I just had the bare circuit board leaning up on something... this was in 1990. When I started my BBS, I was still running it on that 1200 baud. I later moved to a 2400, then a 14400 HST, a 14400 sportster, and a 33.6 Courier V.Everything. I still have a Courier V.Everything, but it's not the one that I ran my BBS on.

I loved the project :)

Many old memories :)

My first modem was 300 baud I was an early teen and as such desperately hunted for the BBS’s that let me download adult black and white GIF’s and topless women while I was locked in my bedroom :P

My mate got into BBS’s big time. He had a medical mistake and got a payout as a very young man and as a nerd got 5 phone lines and joined a BBQ network dialling up other interstate BBQ parsing mail and game packets to sync BBS’s together.

Come DOOM and IPX, TCP/IP open software (to long ago to remember the name). I became a born again gamer. With the same BBS guy. We would spend hours on dial up playing Doom together and mon and dad would pick up the phone and kill me. So I got a 2nd phone line to home and used the main home phone for voice and still tied up 2 phone lines for hours :P

56K modems where the pretty awesome for there time. I was a Telecom tech by the time they came out and ISDN lines was super expensive and 64K digital lines.

I wont admit I remote dialled into a big corporate PABX and programmed it to remote forwarded a local call through the PABX to a USA based quake server to play with you guys. But I did :).

Dumb question, but is there any docs on this if I want to build one too? Maybe sans modem case? I missed out on BBS days b/c my parents actively tried to keep us kids off the PC. I do have a few foggy memories of Prodigy, and I would love to go back in time with this project of Wendell's.

1 Like

@wendell did you ever end up publishing the code for this project on github, etc?