A baudy Linux Hack: Hayes Modem modded to Linux Desktop (and modem time machine). | Level One Techs

Could you provide a raw iso of the pi so that we can get what you have? Or at the very least a list of links to the BBSs included? @wendell

Looks interesting, and haven't heard Modem sounds in a while :D Even though I thought of something else when I first heard about that contest. I thought you were taking the original hardware of whatever and put Linux on there.

PS: Probably already noticed, but there's a typo on the thumbnail :)

My i286 had a blazing fast 2400 baud modem in it, so I never had to slum with one of those 1200 baud models. ; )

CompuServe and bulletin boards; those were the days!!!

I remember not being able to get on line, if it has rained that day. There would be too much static on the phone line to get a speedy 2400 baud connection, assuming that I could even get a connection. People today who complain about their DSL connections have no idea what it was like back in the day.

Surfing back then always seemed like such an adventure. Thanks for the memories.

Kits and Project documentation/howtos or riot

I feel a weird amount of happiness that this project exists....

1 Like

Great tool for using an 8088 on the internet
http://www.nettamer.net

Some good Dos internet info
http://www.fdisk.com

Oh man, dial-up sounds. Such memories. :)

That's why I voted for him.
No one deserves to be that humiliated.

1 Like

@Wendel, Hi, I left a comment on yt but it probably got lost in the noise: Can I use a rPI zero to create an XT-AT active converter for an old mechanical keyboard I have? The zero is much cheaper than a Teensy, but I wonder if it will introduce latency as I type..?

you're the worst:

4 Likes

Holy crap on a pogo stick, when I voted it was 85-15 for Wendell...

Lunduuuuuuuuuuuuke !!!

1 Like
see:

@MicroHex @tekwendell Nope! Someone is definitely running as script. Just checked the csv and it's clearly automated. Swear it's not me. :)

— Bryan Lunduke ( @BryanLunduke ) March 8, 2017

1 Like

I celebrated too early.

L1T getting slaughtered.

😭😭😭

So who's gonna write and distribute the retaliation script

2 Likes

I can't script. But I can retaliate with a pitch fork or two.

1 Like

All this panic about bots stealing jobs and we allow this? I'm ok with this.

Yes but more work than a tiny. The tiny is good at tolerating abuse. 5v on. 3.3v input on an RPI and it's toast

1 Like

I was hyped thinking we'd all be able to telnet into it!

2 Likes

Bryan clearly didn't show his submission and is even giving away the device that he was going to use to control his puppet, so by definition he gets a DNF. That makes the poll and its results meaningless anyway.
I suspect that they'll only keep it around because Bryan still needs to pick a winner from those that voted for him.

Thanks @wendell I'm going to try it and create a thread on the topic. fyi I also found a really cheap arduino clone thingy which looks promising for the price: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Pro-Micro-ATmega32U4-5V-16MHz-Replace-ATmega328-Arduino-Pro-Mini-/140972980117?hash=item20d2a4f795