Goalkeepers DragonFlyBSD Adventures

TLDR:

Background: To increase community engagement and to give our new BSD section a healthy and prosperous new life, AdminDev created the “BSD Challenge” (BSD Challenge). The *BSD challenge is based off of the “1 Year Linux Challenge” (1 Year Linux Challenge) but focused on *BSD instead of Linux. The premise is to use *BSD for one year and to document your adventure in a thread. At the end of the 1 year, you will be awarded with a badge for your efforts.

Purpose/Goals: To install, use, and to maintain a DragonFlyBSD (https://www.dragonflybsd.org/) desktop system running the openbox WM (http://openbox.org/wiki/Main_Page) for a year to complete the *BSD challenge. As well as to compile some applications from sauce (source), and to document the journey and actions, as much as personally possible in detail. As well as to try and help answer users/readers questions.

Materials: Dell AIO Inspiron (Inspiron one 2320, with a non-stock 500GB Western Digital HD), Wired Mouse ( ), HP USB 2.0 Keyboard (E145614), DragonFlyBSD CD (dfly-x86_64-5.4.1_REL.iso), DragonFlyBSD mailing list (https://www.dragonflybsd.org/mailinglists/), Openbox WM (http://openbox.org/wiki/Main_Page), Burniso2cd

Method: DragonflyBSD will be installed on a Dell Inspiron AIO via a DVD-RW disc. The installation of pre-built packages will be done thru the terminal with the package manager (pkg), and source based applications will be compiled via the make command in the ports tree. Documentation will happen live, as soon as things are being worked on.

Other Notes: My grammar and writing skills are trash tier ranked. Please ignore. :smiley:. I don’t see myself doing too many complex tasks, as I am a very basic computer user. Although, I hope to at least try to set up and use and familiarize myself with jails and maybe some other more complex things.

Intro:

The actual start of the journey will begin on post #54. I will document what I am doing down below in the reply section of the thread, and then summarize what I did in those posts and include those summaries under the Summary of Results section here in the OP, as well as include a link back to the post in the thread for what it is that I summarized.

I have chosen to take part in the BSD challenge to help increase community engagement within the forum and of course to get a forum badge :smiley: . DragonFlyBSD is the vehicle of choice for the challenge as i have used it once before in the past, and it is something that I am somewhat familiar with. It is also something that is quite unique, as when I joined the challenge no one else had chosen it. Of course I was the first to join the official challenge :stuck_out_tongue: (I’m not gloating :smiley: ), so that may explain that.

DragonFlyBSD is written by Matthew Dillon, a former Amiga developer from the late 80s to early 90s, and a former FreeBSD developer from 1994 to 2003. DragonFlyBSD differs significantly from its parent, FreeBSD, in that it defaults with its homemade file system, Hammer 2. There are also some other changes that can be seen on their Wikipedia page. One could also ask of the differences of the two *BSDs on the DragonFlyBSD community mailing list.

Results

TODO LIST :

• Download DragonflyBSD :white_check_mark: (completed on March 25th 2019)
  • Install DragonflyBSD (WIP March 25th 2019) :white_check_mark: (installed on 4/29/19)
  • Setup and move in :white_check_mark: (done on 4/29/29)
  • Get used to terminal commands
  • etc

Summary of Results

• Was able to install and setup of DragonFlyBSD on the 29th of March. When I installed the system the first time, I didn’t enable bootblacks which was why I received that screen about selecting a proper boot device. I then went back, to the live CD, and enabled bootblocks on the drive and rebooted. I was greeted with this image:

At this screen, all I was supposed to do was hit the enter key on the keyboard and then the system would have booted. Goalkeepers DragonFlyBSD Adventures

It seems that if you do a UEFI install, you need to manually do bootblocks as I did thru another option on the live CD. After the system is installed on a non UEFI install, a screen will prompt you to enable bootblocks.

12 Likes

That’s why God gave us the draft :wink:

Can’t wait! This new BSD section is HOT.

7 Likes

Yes, I cant read good!

Done

4 Likes

Making it rain :airplane: :fire: :bomb: all up in this section.

6 Likes

May I ask why dragonfly? I’m currently reading about different BSD variants so curious to know how/why you ended up with dragonflybsd?

5 Likes

I used it once before and didn’t get all that far with it. So I hope to redeem myself in that regard.

Also, I wanna feel the performance. Dragonflybsd has speed improvements or whatever over freebsd. Although, while it is faster then freebsd and Linux in some things, it does get its butt handed to it in others.

If there was more info on PureDarwin, I would use that. I :heart: Apple.

7 Likes

@Even747

4 Likes

It’s HAMMER TIME!

6 Likes

woofer, got any updates?

4 Likes
5 Likes

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

4 Likes

keen to see performance comments on hammer… i’ve been meaning to check dragonfly out many times but hardware support…

3 Likes

Do you wanna see benchmarks? Cause that’s how you get benchmarks… on the slow 5400rpm hitachi drive that’s in there

7 Likes

Yeah man, for sure. You get it fired up?

3 Likes

woofBSD when?

2 Likes

Next woof. I was busy this woof. Didn’t realize this woof was Easter woof. Had stuff to do. :frowning:

May also do a photoshop blog concurrently with the BSD blog. :thinking: I had no idea photoshop people can get payed mountains.

2 Likes

woofer can woof in photowoof?

2 Likes

I’m going to make my woof look woofier and my waist thinner with photowoof

3 Likes

fakewoof

5 Likes

I also wanna do this in Medical research paper format. I’ve been reading a lot of those and I like the format.

I don’t think that the name is medical research paper format tho. Lol. :blush:

4 Likes