980 TI SLI or Wait?

Yea man Im not saying get amd either, the dx12 support right now is slim to none so laying down so much on dual gpu's is just not optimal. Im currently on 2 7970's and there isn't a big upgrade for me either on the market right now if I wanna go single gpu.

And this is how Nvidia have 80% of the market... The engine itself does not use all DX12 features. And therefore - Nvidia's lack of support for DX12 is not that obvious...

For some weird reason, people keep forgetting, that at 4K AMD GPUs are way better than on 1080p...
Atleast wait for Fury X2 and this DualGPU Titan thing...

I've always viewed AMD (or ATI) VS NVIDIA in terms of what the cards are best at, AMD cards are exceptionally good at rendering in RTS games, etc. It makes sense to me that the AMD cards are excelling in a game like Ashes of the Singularity. Not everybody plays games like those however. NVIDIA excels at "pretty" and ease of use. Especially now that the cards are closer in price.

The performance difference between a TI and a Fury is low enough to be negligible (for me), usually within 5 FPS. That's a HUGE win for AMD as far as I'm concerned, something a lot of people downplay. Consider a 290 VS 980, now look at what we have: pretty close to equal performance across product lines.

Then there's availability and overclocking...

That's where AMD has fallen short at the top end, then throw in driver support. That's where NVIDIA has the edge currently. If everything else is equal, or close enough that it doesn't matter much.

That's not even taking into consideration that if you're running a system in a medium or smaller case you have to make some tough choices about juggling rads. If I'd wanted to build a water cooled system, I'd have built a water cooled system. I appreciate that they offered it, but I wish it was optional. I'm disappointed with the Fury X atm, but I'm optimistic seeing what AMD offered with their refresh and Fury X release at the same time.

As for Pascal/DX12...

I'll figure that out when I actually have Pascal cards to choose from and DX12 games that I can actually purchase and care about.

yeah for 4k gaming dual 980Ti´s would be a good solution.
How this image will look like as soon as dx12 is getting adopted by major games, we dont realy know that yet, we have only seen 2 games tested in beta till now.
Thats not realy enough to make any conclusions, since we also have seen different numbers from different reviewers.
We know that asynchronus compute will favor AMD's GCN architecture, but how this all wil turn out in major DX12 games is just a matter of time till we know that.

tobad that your wife decided to build her own amd rig, instead of grabbing your core i5-4690K.
But yeah with a R9-270 it will basicly be a fine combo with amd.

interessting.
will be a battle vs the FuryX2 then if amd is going to bring one of those.

My point with all those benchmarks was, that every Gpu for that price will be good for 4K, and with the FuryX at the moment as far as our knowledge goes you will get better DX12 support. Now, will the games decide to use that thing that Nvidia suck at, or they will be payed not to is entirely different question.
However, at 4K at the moment both 980Ti and FuryX show equal performance. Keeping in mind, that DX12 games will start to come next year before the next gen GPUs and believing that you will not jump immediately on the next gen GPUs, my argument is FuryX. DeusEx is coming, Battlefront is coming, Hitman is coming, there are a lot of DX12 games on the horizon. And Async Compute one way or another will be implemented in the game engines. And if you don't plan on switching the GPUs soon, you will get more milage out of the FuryX, since it supports all DX12 features. 2 years down the line 980Tis will be struggling, while the Fury X - not so much...
Oh, about the drivers, recently some people have cried out about the new Nvidia SLI drivers, so yeah...

@MisteryAngel Yeah, I was kinda shocked that she didn't want the i5 system, then she throws me the curveball of "I want it to look like yours, I just don't want it to be yours". So, I've come up with the following for her, I'm going to tinker with it a bit but all things considered I think it'll work nicely for her and use up some spare parts I've got from upgrading.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Khaas/saved/xfGFf7

And yeah, the competing dual GPU cards is really interesting to me. I'm anxious to hear what the two sides come out with.

@psycho_666 Your point is well taken, my point is this: there's not enough data for me to make decisions based on DX12. I won't buy products now with games 2 years from now in mind. There is simply too much that can happen between now and then. If I have to upgrade my system in two years time, I will. If I don't, I won't.

That build looks fine to me.
Maybe change those ram's to G.skill Snipers instead of the ripjaws X.
The G.skill snipers are slightly lower profiled, so you basicly dont have to worry about clearence with your aftermarket cpu cooler.
And the Sniper are black / red aswell.
Or G.skill Ares series if you want them red and low profiled.

I actually already have them, they've been in my G45 motherboard with that cooler (came free with my SSDs). I'm not sure what they are, they're G .Skill. They're red. And 1866 DDR3. LOL, I'll have to look. Just tossed what "looked" roughly right in there.

Recently upgraded to 16g Corsair LP RAM with a Noctua NH-D14, I wanted to go with the D15 or the Dark Rock Pro from be quiet (since I'm using all be quiet fans) but my S340 case doesn't quite fit.

Good then everything should be fine.
I dont expect that there will be much diffrence between the spacing on the AM3+ board and the Intel Z87 / Z97 G45 board.
So it should be fine then.

With some bigger aircoolers you can run into issues according to that, thats why i was mentioning it.

Yeah, for 2 chips it's fine with these, for 4 I'd have clearance problems with the fan.

I'm not one to talk, I was rockin' 3x GTX 280's in SLI + OC until GTA V couldn't run on them because DX10?
so I got a 970... best decision ever. pretty good at 4K gaming and has DP's.
I have the NH-D14 as well, purely because they where out of NH-D15 stock tho :/
your setup looks alright, I'd wait until the cheaper prices in holidays.
you'll definitely want the 6GB of RAM in the 980 Ti's

Nvidia is planning 5K gaming.. so for 4K gaming and more, SLI 980 Ti's will last a few years at best.

For reference: here is my system, including the new PSU and Video cards I have picked out.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PvMGZL

As mentioned earlier, I currently have the 550w XFX PSU and MSI 270 in the machine, and with the 4K screen I'm getting I want some more beef under the hood. And now that the PSU and 270 are spoken for, it's going to happen sooner rather than later.

I also corrected the ram in the proposed AMD build.

looks fine to me

WAIT A MINUTE...

Didn't you mention you wanted to play World of Warcraft...?

DONT DO IT! Wait man,

although you idea of a SLI 980ti is an brilliant idea, ( i just got a couple of the MSI 6G's on the way )

You're better off holding out a couple of months until the holiday season and getting some really good discounts. I wish i remembered black friday was around the corner before I did mine.