850 watt or 1000 watt for 5950x/6800xt build with overclocking

Given this part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hJm3W3

should I go with an 850 or 1000 watt power supply?

I may want to add another one of https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1460396-REG/asus_hyper_m_2_x16_card_v2_hyper_m_2_x16_pcie.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI:514&gclid=CjwKCAiA25v_BRBNEiwAZb4-ZbVsvFDzDd1pLMDG9nkvDKtBH1EzmjslapEW7vgF2LRGNgjq0U2OpxoCw_wQAvD_BwE into the build at some point. I also would like to try my hand at overclocking the cpu and gpu.

PS. Is the PCIe card referenced above any good? I intend to use this particular one as a raid 0 dump drive for steam games so Linux support is not necessary but it would be nice if this does work with Linux with no fuss.

I would 100% go with 1000w PSU.
Regarding the PCI card, shouldn’t be an issue on Linux as long as motherboard supports it etc. There’s few mentiones of it on the web in terms of Linux so driver so I’m guessing it should work.

Look like it’s a nice card, might even get one for myself

2 Likes

Thanks. Do you have an opinion on https://www.newegg.com/phanteks-revolt-pro-ph-p1000gc-1000w/p/N82E16817987007?&quicklink=true or Phanteks PSUs in general?

I’m not the expert and I’m not familiar with the brand. What I know is that it seems to be gold certified so you should be good.

I have this : https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/Power-Supply-Units-Advanced/RMx-Series/p/CP-9020094-UK

IMO psu is the one of the most important part of your setup so I usually go with w known brand and at least gold certified, at least 1000w.

If you’re wondering if you could make some savings out of PSU I would say, don’t. Rather spend more money on a good PSU than anything else.

The revolt pro is just a Seasonic FOCUS GX clone, which isn’t really like the best of the best but it’s still pretty reliable and has decent ripple and component quality.

you won’t really be overclocking the CPU as they kinda boost to the max potential of the chip

the GPU you can but AMD likes to artificially limit your clocks on their recent GPU’s which is a bit sad
850w is plenty

5950X uses like 150w of power lets say you can magically make it use 250w
the GPU won’t use more than 364w of power

1000w for 600w or more realistically 500w of power seems a little unnecessary

3 Likes

Hi,

I just switched from x570 platform to Threadripper because I could not take full benefit of the storage. As in I wasn’t able to configure my setup to allocate a full 16x lanes as required to run all 4 disks (in 4x4x4x4). I could get two drives working

You will have to move your GPU into 8x slot unless your motherboard has a PLEX chip

At least that is my understanding

As for the PSU I would go big platinum or better

The multi-m.2 pcie card requires both the ability to bifurcate pcie motherboard slots, and the availability of all 16 lanes in your chosen slot. MANY motherboards step the pcie lane availability down to 8x when you use more than 1 x16 slot. Check your mobo’s pdf manual to fully understand the bifurcation ability, and the pcie lanes reduction from 16x to 8x trigger point for this mobo.

You can also shoot an email to ASUS and ask if their m.2 card works properly in your motherboard.

EDIT - SO I am doing what I told you to do and looking at your mobo’s specs live on the support page. Be aware that it only supports full 3200Mhz RAM with 2 DIMMs … if you drop in any more DIMMs you will be wide open to memory errors and failures at 3200+.

Also it does clearly state under the “Slots” section that the board has 2 x16 PCIe slots and 1 x8 PCIe slot. AND that using more than 1 x16 PCIe slot drops them all to x8 .

My strong advice to you is to use 2 of the motherboard’s 3 on-board m.2 slots for 2TB m.2 NVME drives, and spin up a RAID0 on them for a 4TB Steam drive with 4GB++/sec read/write.

Use the 3rd m.2 slot on the mobo for boots

1 Like

The suggestion for 1000w is for future proofing rather than what you could consume at the moment.

Heavy load on CPU and GPU, few SATA HDD’s, few NVME’s + few usb devices connected can get you all the way to 650-700w.

In the future daisy chain some devices via USB-C can add extra 100w.

I believe the motherboard is PCIE4.0, add some extra cards and you magically draining 800w. I would be a bit scared to have max 850w PSU but I agree as of now without the extras 850w is fine.

Since I bought the PSU I literally changed everything (motherboards, CPUs, GPUs, even cases) while PSU always stayed the same :slight_smile:

Well this kind of sucks. Though from what I have found the difference between x8 and x16 performance is negligible at best. This wrinkle does give me an excuse to resurrect some old parts I have laying around.

The pci card is really about getting rid of the mechanical drive so I don’t have to mess about with sata cables.

While kind of off topic to the original question in the thread would it be crazy to just get an extra network card and connect my desktop to another machine as a kind of nas?

How much HDD space do you think you will need? Since money doesn’t seem to be a big concern for you, you can grab a pair of 4TB NVME drives and combine them with raid0 for 8TB total … or you can grab a single Micron 8TB SSD for about $820 if all you need is 6Gb/sec SATA SSD …

850W is basically more then enough for a single gpu setup.
But of course a little bit of overkill doesn´t particularly hurt.
I mean if you ever consider to go with a second gpu for virtualization / passtrough or so.

Hi Mate,

The difference in the 8. Vs 16x pcie isnt about the speed or bandwidth per say, but more to do with allocation of pcie lanes.

Regarding adding a NIC - you could definitely do that as a solution

Good luck

Relatively small price difference at times, in giving the PSU a lot more breathing room.

I ended up getting the revolt pro. Thanks for all the other suggestions everyone.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.