8320 thermal throttle under p95 with h50

Asus 990fx sabertooth r2

Amd 8320

2x4gb Kingston HyperX Blu 1600mhz

I am running at 3.000v @ 4.2ghz right now, and it runs battlefield, arma and just about anything fine without going over 55c. However, Prime95 (small fft) seems to always make the temps skyrocket. I shut p95 down at 65 c which takes about 10-15 min to reach. Also my vrms get insanely high. As in >85C high. Is my cooler just not good enough or what? Am I able to safely lower the voltage any lower? Also is there anything I can do to reduce VRM temps?

Thanks for any help.

lolz, 3V core voltage... damn'....

Also my vrms get insanely high.

Yeah, getting high is insane alright...

Define VRM's?

Many people think the chokes getting really hot is bad, it's not, the normal operating temp at full capacity of most chokes is around 70 °C, which feels dangerously hot to the human skin, and causes burns. If you can touch them without instant pain, they're not even running at full capacity. What shouldn't become hot, are those tiny SMD dual MOS-FETs that look way less important than those big chokes, and the chances of modern MOS-FETs getting very hot are quite small, because they're very efficient and thus don't convert much electrical energy into heat.

3V core voltage is just not possible.

Thermal throttling is part of any CPU design of the last 5 years or so. AMD CPU's actually throttle very little in comparison to Intel CPU's. That's also why it's possible to burn out an AMD CPU, whereas an Intel CPU is very hard to blow out except when it's a bad chip (which unfortunately is not an exception in Haswell chips). Generally, if you get heavy throttling on an AMD CPU, it's because you have not invested in a good enough motherboard for it, and your motherboard is not capable of delivering the appropriate constant voltage. For an FX8k with a TDP of 125W or more, you need a pretty expensive motherboard to make it work as it should, and of course also a pretty powerful PSU. Sometimes, it helps to set "load line calibration" to "extreme" in BIOS, providing of course the mobo and PSU are capable of providing the energy.

Load line calibration is the voltage compensation of voltage droop when the CPU ramps up. The mobo has a functionality that compensates for that, so that the CPU stays at constant high speed and doesn't throttle down. If the load line calibration fails or the power delivery assembly of the mobo or the PSU aren't strong and high quality enough, the CPU will get a voltage drop when ramping up, which will cause the CPU to drop to a lower frequency, which is throttling.

55°C is way too hot for an AMD CPU, that has a junction temp of just over 60°C. In normal operation, an AMD CPU should hover between 28 and 34 °C depending on room temperature, and under load, it should not exceed 45-52 °C. Prime95 will take the CPU to a higher temp (about 55°C) because that's what it's designed to do.

If you get higher temps than that, you've done something wrong, either the TIM, or the cooling solution, or the voltage settings in BIOS.

Your temperature are interesting. After browsing different forums I came across different temperature thresholds, but most (if not all of them) were hovering around the 60-65 degrees mark for safe 24/7 operation.

Where do you get your numbers from?

.... Can you please read the whole post. I have a sabertooth. If that isn't a high end motherboard that I don't know what the hell is. Also I have LLC set to extreme, and what is wrong with the 3v? I am not throttling what so ever. It stays at 4.2ghz and never goes below or above it. Could you please add some useful information? Also I think you may have the temps mixed up with the phenom's. My old phenom 955 BE was not supposed to go above 55C. However, a lot of people are talking about 65 being the cap and 55 being a good day to day maximum. 

You have a good Asus board, you should have Asus AI Suite. I'm posting an image of my current setup on my [email protected] on stock voltage. I have a Asus Crosshair Formula ROG 990FX your Sabertooth should be very similar.

Your Vcore should not be at 3v. That should kill your cpu almost instantly. You should be able to get 4.2GHz at stock voltage like me.

I'm running: 4.3GHz @ Stock/Auto Voltage - CPU Bus @ 200MHz (stock) -  Multiplier 21.5

200 x 21.5 = 4300MHz (4.3GHz)

Turbo Mode/CPU Level Up = Disabled - Power Saving Modes = Disabled - Everything Else = Auto

If you can post a image or link to an image of your CPU-Z or Asus AI Suite Sensor so we can see your settings and maybe figure this out.

running @ 3v. lolz. Either typo (1.3) or you're looking at the wrong figure. The 3v rail is seldom used these days.

Your vcore voltage is what you should be referring to OP. The higher that value the higher your load temps will be. Good chips will oc high and need very little bump in voltage to be stable, worse chips need more voltage for the same oc, some really shit chips demand stupid amounts of voltage for even a moderate oc. Its just the silicon lottery.

You cant expect a h50 to perform more than its made to, if you want low temps invest in a better cooler and or tweak your oc. If its runs cool enough for all the tasks you run then be happy with that. Very few instances would you ever run a load as demanding as Prime95 in everyday use.