8 core Zen to be released in October?

Fine...
2 chips need to communicate with each other... So you need controller for chip one, controller for chip 2, controller for both... Instead of one controller for the all cores together. The extra controller will bring more power consumption, more heat output, extra silicon...
Then how do you communicate between them? We see, that even an USB3,1 have issues on long distances and what not... It's a comunication nightmare... On top of that any transfer from chip to chip means caching in memory of chip A, move to cache memory of chip B, this all takes time...

We already have 8core chips... FX 8150 is 5 years old. AMD have experience with that... Also the 14nm Samsung process is not new. Bad yields should be gone by now...

no no no. im talking like in actual size. Like to do that youd need a chip that is like 2x the size of the ones we have now. and the yields on that would be horrid. the 270 is like 212mm^2 and an 8350 is 315mm^2. you put those together holy crap thats huge. even intels 24 core chip isnt that big.

270X performance wise... Note size wise... They can basically fit a 28nm quad core and 250X into 7850, so they can fir 6 core and 270 equivalents in 14nm chip, smaller than the current APUs... And if the GPU have issues - you lock it up and have 6 core CPU...

What your asking for isnt just slapping two things together. This isnt a 1 +1 = 2 case. There are other things you have to add to make it function properly.

Actually, i am asking for a few extra Stream Processors and 2 extra cores on an APU, so i can build cheap ass CM Elite 110 rendering machine...

best of luck getting that. I do hope your zen dreams come true but I will reserve my judgement till I see benchmarks from 3rd parties.

I am not talking about performance here... Just purely technologically... I want an APU with 6 cores, that will not slow me down massively in the graphics department... I am rendering videos with 760K... I regret not going for 6300 when i had a chance...

1 Like

....I think you are talking about performance....

It's time for some motherboard maker to "accidentally" spill some beans. I want to know how much ECC RAM I can start planning on getting onto their AM4 boards. I dream about being able to use 32GB sticks. Just because why the hell not.

I would also be interested in a decent 6 core APU that was agnostic to video cards and could work in tandem with a dedicated GPU using Vulkan.

I would also be interested in such a thing! I want to build an a tiny rig for the TV for my daughters to play some games on.

But until then it looks like I'm going to build in an NFC S4 Mini case when the time comes, if I can get my hands on one. Maybe with a gtx 1060 or rx480