8 bit color vs 10 bit color in monitor

Depends on whether the number refers to the total number of bits or just the depth of a single channel. 8 bits per channel corresponds to 24 bits RGB and 32 bits RGBA.

3 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to post a list but the having 2 ultra wides would be to big for my desk and the Viewsonic 4k monitor is only 27 inches and as some of t he people in this post explained to me, at t hat size there would be scaling issues since 27 inches would be to small for all those pixels.

How my current set up is:
My first screen is used for my windows machine, just for games and other Microsoft applications.
My second screen is used for my second system for my Linux machine where I do programing on for school,learning and testing out new things etc.
I use a program called synergy to allow me to use one mouse and keyboard for both computers, that's why one ultra wide screen won't be viable for me.

So what I have learned from the research I did and the information I gathered from the folks in this thread is that 27" is a good size for 1440p where I won't have any scaling issues and it's within the price range and also the Dell ultrasharp had great reviews.

I'd like to say thanks again though for taking the time to post a list of items for me.

it doesn't mean you have to run 4k out of it. But if you are ok with dell's monitors then its ok i guess.

All of those are a lot more expensive than the Dell. I guess you were looking at the 1130,- price?
That is two monitors and an arm. :wink: One monitor alone is around 470,-.

This is a long thread so apologies if someone already mentioned this, but as a 3D artist myself I'd suggest getting a good quality easy to calibrate display and a display calibration tool. I own the DataColor Spyder 4 Pro and have been rather happy with it personally however you might be better off getting the new 5-th gen product instead(or perhaps an alternative brand).

edit: having caught up with the thread now, @noenken and @catsay are giving very good advice IMO, so just +1's from me I guess. The Dell UltraSharp series used to be pretty much "golden standard" for CGI artists, and afaik still is popular. So I may be biased however I think it really is very good choice.

1 Like

Even after they suggested those monitors I been searching to see if there are any other better options but there really isn't at this price point for me so I am more than likely to buy the Dell Ultra-sharps.Thanks for the reply though.

A calibration tool is over-the-top IMO, given that the OP is not a content creator:

Sure, however OP indicated interest in monitoring images as intended(at least such was my impression), most professionally created images on the web are created on calibrated(sRGB) displays. However if OP goes with the UltraSharp monitors, indeed a Colorimeter may be unnecessary.