8/2015- GTX 970 or R9 390?

980 Ti is a 1440p @60Hz beast. and handles most 4K games at 60Hz. Also, it can push 1080p to 120/144Hz, for those with such monitors.

And the 390, with the 8GB of vRAM, will scale better at higher resolutions when put in xfire. But yeah... i would rather have a newer, solid single card, then double up. by the time i upgrade, pascal or even Volta will be out, with HBM 2.

I will have to say that fir strictly 1080p, the benchmarks I have seen have show little difference between a 970/390 to the higher end cards.

So yeah back to what you were saying, if we're all here anxiously awaiting to see what HBM 2.0 brings, then why spend the 980 Ti money on a card now?

Buying a 970/390 at the prices they're at now should net less of a loss when you try to sell for an upgrade than those who bought it when they were the newest cards right?

I keep referring back to this review/benchmark tests:

And looking at the authors own data and charts I just do not agree with his conclusion, so I am obviously missing something.......

well, if you spent money on a 120/144Hz monitor, then you will want a 980 ti, or else, you wasted your money on the monitor (speaking about newer graphically intensive games, anyways).

or, if you have a 1440p or 4K monitor, and want to max the settings and get 60fps. then 980Ti. It comes down to your budget. if you are rocking a 60Hz 1080p, then 980 Ti would be a waste of money. but there are setups that warrant the $750 price tag.

Look at the 1080p results, especially the Zotach 970!!!

Yeah, it is a solid 1080p card. I mean, i am most likely going to buy one in 4 days lol. But just look at the 1080p results... if you ave a 120/144Hz monitor, and play BF4, you would want a 980 Ti.

And at 4K, the 970 would be unplayable at these settings, so 980 Ti wins agian.

in 4K I have nothing to say, because not even (1) 980 ti will handle most games at a playable frame rate.

For 1080p, the Ti isn't at 144hz so that's out the window. Also the charts you posted don't state whether that FPS is avg or Max?

Anyhow I was not saying the 980 ti is not worth it, just have to weigh the outlay of cash and consider what's to come. In my first post I said I believe it and the 970/390 to be the best price/performance cards.

My point with these benchmarks and what not was more to say how I do not feel the Fury is worth the extra cash over the 970/390 in 1080p or 1440p. I have nothing bad to say about the 980 Ti, and the little kid in me is saying "c'mon bro, you have the $$ for it, just get it" lol......

If you overclock both balls to the walls a 970 wins by a few fps, leave them at stock the 970 loses by a few fps.

The 390 has a whopping 8gb buffer, will never be used in its life time, but it's better than the alternative of 3.5 which is already seeing full use in 1080p gaming in many of the most recent titles.

Personally i'd get the 390.

Msi R9-390 would be a good choice.

But i would personaly grab the 980Ti, or keep the Fury

Right now the MSI 390 (not X) is in the lead for me, but the Zotach Amp Extreme 970 and the KFa2 EXOC 970 have caught my eye as well. 980 Ti would be nice as well, just not sure I want to throw all that cash at it (even though I have it to do so)

Stepping down to the 390/970 from the Fury lets me get one or the other and buy the RAM and PSU i still nedd with a few bucks left over lol. So it leaves what's in the build fund just for monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

We shall see, the monitor choice is a whole different fiasco lol.

@MisteryAngel the Fury is shipping out tomorrow. I sold it :p

Ah nice.

I think the base Fury is a perfect card, sad to hear it's sold.

I don't see the value in it for the performance difference at this point, which is none at all in certain in stances.

The 970/390 are not running at such less FPS to the Fury that I saw the value in $200+ more for it, just my opinion anyhow.

Would have just returned it but the restocking fee would have killed me lol.

1 Like

yeah well, in my honnest opinnion, like i allready said a couple of times.
If you have the money for the 980Ti, then why not grab that.
Its one of the best performing single gpu´s on the market right now.
And it will hold you for the next 2 years + and probably even longer.
Next to that, if you ever wanne go with multi 1440p monitor setup, you are totaly ready for that.

Yeah but if he buys a 980 ti he's just gonna feel like a derp for selling the Fury..

I've been there it makes you feel like you're throwing money around for no reason lol

yeah i can understand that.

Actually no I wouldn't. Nothing I have seen shows the Fury can hold a candle to the 980 Ti..............

I guess there is a signifigant difference at 1080p. the gap is silly at higher resolutions.

I own a 980 ti it's pretty nice, other than driver crashes out the wazzoo for minecraft but that's another story...

I could very well be wrong going forward is drivers in the future make a huge change. I mean not too long ago via drivers people were able to unlock 290X's to be 390x's. Good thing is I could always just buy another one. But I seriously doubt if I had a 980 ti I'd miss the Fury at all. I mean I just sold it to propably get a 390 and feel no remorse what so ever......

That is another aspect of this whole thing right now. all the complaints of driver issues with Win 10 and Nvidia.......