7950x: I want 4x32GB unless it sucks, does it suck?

How distributed is your application? Have you though about a multi machine setup ? 2 core i713700k each with 64 gig would double the bandwith and almost 3/2 the cores.

Sorry to derail the thread, is USB 4 = Thunderbolt on this board?

I plan to build the same machine, but I have several USB PCIe cards for vfio I would love to outsource into a separate Thunderbold enclosure.

IIRC @wendell said to look for maple ridge controllers.

Rear USB (Total 11 ports)
2 x USB4® with Intel® JHL8540 USB4® controller ports

So the answer appears to be yes? Though the tech specs only mention USB 4 40 Gbps, nothing about PCIe tunnelling. (It would be great if someone could bug motherboard vendors about adding that to specs …).

I’m hoping the answer is yes that it’s real thunderbolt, it’s one of the reasons I picked this motherboard but I couldn’t find any solid info. It’s not critical at all for my work but from time to time I’ve had to use a blackmagic ultrastudio which is thunderbolt and does not work on normal usb c. I probably won’t see one of those for a while but if nobody has checked by then I’ll try remember to write here if it does.

I set one of those ultrastudios up with a laptop for sports graphics and a couple of times I’ve had phone calls from the person operating wondering why it’s not working and its because they’re plugging into USB C instead of the single thunderbolt port on the laptop.

The controller the Pro Art uses is a JHL8540, which is a maple ridge controller.

1 Like

I have 4 x 16gb @ 5600mhz on mine. Memory training on each restart take a long ass time. But it works.

I have a 7950x and steel legend from asrock.

Something to note
With dual rank ram which is most large densities, its harder to run, but you get a performance boost from more ranks, that’ll help offset the freq dip

3 Likes

I didn’t know that was every time! Is there a way to manually set the memory settings and skip the memory training?

I am not sure. I know that when I run no expo profile it is almost instant. When I have expo set to 5600mhz for all 4 dimms. It takes over a minute or close to a minute per post.

Ok thanks hopefully mine isn’t much longer than that I could deal with 1 minute boot times. It would be great if setting it all manually skipped it though. Good to see you’re running 4 sticks at 5600 though! I definitely won’t get mine to run that high

1 Like

fyi: the highest I have found so far is 128GB DDR5 running apparently stable at 5200 @ 4X32GB DDR5, see this link:

3 Likes

I have been dealing with this issue in development for the last few days. I have been in contact with Asus and their official line is that they do not have any 4xModules validated on their website because there are none available in a kit (they couldnt seem to comprehend that as its dual channel 2x2Module kits as long as they are from the same batch/bom/revision/speed/timings should be the same) And as such they are only stating that 4xmodules of any size are currently only validated for use when the memory is set to AUTO rather than DOCP.
Not really something i wanted to hear but hey ho i guess!

2 Likes

With my tinfoil hat on I think this is all part of their segmentation to push people towards TR pro… if you need more than 64GB ram at the moment that’s where you would be steered because it’s validated. Hopefully it works fine…

I am still waiting on all of the parts to arrive but I at least have tracking numbers for everything now. Probably next week before everything is here at this rate.

1 Like

I have seen some people getting 4xmodules running at 4800Mhz+ But without significant development time on, that will likely be negated when a different revison pack of memory comes out its not really viable as a commercial solution.

1 Like

I have the same ASUS x670e creator board + 7950x

With 2x32 GB it runs just fine at DDR5-6000 with rated timings.

I upgraded to 4x32GB today (2 packs of the 2x32GB GSKILL DDR5-6000 kit). Had to relax speeds iteratively down to DDR5-5000, then tightened timings a little down to 28-36-36-96.

Doesn’t seem too bad to have to step down to DDR5-5000 when moving up to 4x32GB.

4 Likes

I wonder what RAM timings and model is that test made with.

I’ve started this journey too with an AMD 7950X,128GB DDR5 made of 2x CMK64GX5M2B5200C40 with GIGABYTE X670 AORUS ELITE AX and can only get to 4800Mhz, the XMP profile (only one shown) doesn’t even work for all 4 being mounted.

Did you change any memory controller frequency? Did you disable anything else? Do you still have the memory training enabled? Does it boot in 30 mins like mine after power off?

3600 is the cut off for quad channel support on ryzen 7000.

if you want 3800+ to 6600+ speeds you will have to use 2 sticks of ram only.
as the cpu switches from quad channel, 2 dims per channel.
to dual channel, single dim per channel.
allowing only 2 slots to be populated out of your available 4 or 8 when using faster ram.

there is a trade off. with slower ram speeds you get more bandwidth via multi channel support.
if you dont need the bandwidth you can trade it for faster cycle times but at the cost of multi channel support.

I understand the logic behind that, but how could such test exist then, when the memory controller can’t even run at those speeds. Maybe overclocked infinity fabric?

Do we know what kind of settings would need to be overclocked?
Also, is there a way to know if a dim is single ranked or dual ranked?

Found another one… https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/yggpr5/7950x6900xt128gb_ddr54k144hz42_lcd/

and it also has this screenshot in comments

1 Like