7700X vs 5800X3D is the big debate for me atm

With the release of benchmarks and the full release in just a few days for Ryzen 7000 the debate I now have is 7700X or 5800X3D for mostly gaming.

Do I go 7700X so I will have the new platform, and an upgrade path and maybe a cheap up system update down the road or do I buy a 5800X3D on the dead platform for maybe a little cheaper.

AMD 7000 series CPU’s will be scalped, like we had for the past 2-3 years. So expect prices much higher then MSRP. And AM4 isn’t dead. It won’t get another refresh, but whatever CPU you buy will still work fine and the 5800X3D is only beaten by the high end 7000 series chips. AM5 will drop in price, eventually, so an upgrade/platform change might actually be cheaper in the future.

1 Like

The huge difference in total cost of ownership is easy to make up your mind. If you cannot, then it’s indicative that you probably should stick with 5800X3D.

4 Likes

The decision really depends on two different things:
What CPU/Board do you have now?
What is your workload, gaming, web, development, ect?

Anything Ryzen 7000 is a big performance bump if your on anything older than like a AMD AM4 370x motherboard or a 12th gen Intel.

If you are on a 470x or 570x AM4 motherboard and are primarily a gamer then the 5800x3D makes more sense as its the clear winner in games. The $$ savings too with not buying a new motherboard and probably RAM are noticeable too. The problem is that your at the end of the line for the socket and its a dead end after this upgrade.

If your on an older AMD/Intel setup and your motherboard, CPU, RAM, and maybe GPU are effectively worthless, then the new 7000 series is probably the best value as its a brand new platform and your AM5 socket should see 2-3 generations of CPU along with your DDR5 allowing for updates later on for even greater performance.

1 Like

Right now I have a Haswell 4770k, it gets the job done but I would really like games to load faster and to unlock more of my 3080s potential. And I am looking to get in to coding but right now almost everything I do with my PC is game.

Either way I go I need a motherboard and ram. I think it would be smart to wait at least a few weeks/ month to see what Intel 13th gen looks like.

If your going to wait until Raptor Lake (13gen) then I would wait for AMD to release Ryzen 7000 V Cache which they will probably do around the same time just to keep the gaming crown.

Otherwise, I would just buy as soon as you find a price you like on an AM5 motherboard, CPU, and RAM. If you can wait till October the B650 boards should be out and that should save some $$ on motherboards.

1 Like

its not even a debate. the 5800x3d is the better gaming part.
sure it wont be in a year when amd drop the 7 series x3d chips.
but until then the 5800x3d is the monster on the block…
oh but its ddr4… AND! have you seen the price of ddr5? and its limitations?.
if you dont need the extras that the new platform brings. get the 5800x3d and be happy knowing you have the best gaming cpu for the next year and a great gaming cpu for the next 3 at least.

just because a platform is EOL doesnt mean its dead and buried. infact its often the time you see the best from a mature platform… (as we see with the 5800x3d :wink: )

oh and a little cheaper? no mate. your looking at about 1/3rd cheaper.

1 Like

I take it you’ve already upgraded to an SSD for the OS? If not, that’s your cheapest option.

Apropos SSD’s, even if you already run from an SSD, it’s most likely a SATA disk. Installing the OS on an NVMe drive will significantly improve loading times of everything, including games. For the most part, 256GB is the minimum of what you can get away with and they’re pretty cheap. But the sweet-spot are the 1 TB models. Now, NVMe drives are available in a myriad of transfer speeds, even the cheap Chinese PCIe Gen 3 clones with 1700-2000 MB/s are noticeably faster then a 550MB/s regular SATA SSD. Gen 3 speeds are limited to 3500 MB/s (yes, that’s 3.5 GB/s!), PCIe gen 4 caps at 7 GB/s. You won’t notice the difference in regular use, but most certainly in your wallet!

HTH!

PS: this is on your new platform, your current system most likely can’t boot from an NVMe drive.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.