7700k vs 1700:Agonizing over my 7700k purchase

As I see it, the reason why Power Consumption was of tantamount concern is that AMD's focus despite all the lip service and Public Relations paid to Gaming and Gamers, is that if you look at Polaris; the big income comes from the Commercial sector.
$1XXX GPUs and CPUS are where this company is playing HARDBALL. Low power means lower thermals, crucial to performance in the Server and SFF Instruments environments.
The other reason is purely political; compliance with Agenda 21 and the "Carbon Tax".

If AMD wanted to, I believe they could raise the power and voltage ceiling for a truly "Unlocked Black Edition".
As it stands, the overhead is low due to the chip just shutting down intentionally where top tier mainboard 16 Power Phases will never be utilized on Air or Water.

I don't think they would be playing into AMD's hands. I think it is what both companies want to do, and were heading to. AMD just has a brand new architecture built around doing it. Way before Ryzen there was talks about Intel sacrificing desktop cpu speed for better efficiency and server performance in the future. Server CPUs is where there are high profit margins and lots of growth. Its where both companies want to go. Its just that Intel now has very solid competition for server side CPU and will force them to offer better products.

1 Like

A little late to the party here, but I'd like to make a request
If you decide to switch, before you do get some numbers. Just game or run tests like you normally would, with tabs open and youtube or whatever on the second screen and the game on the other. It would be really interesting to see a real life person with real world usage bench an off the shelf r7 against an i7. Frametimes, fps, valley scores, whatever works. That could help confirm working theory that the r7 is the "better" chip for multitasking and a lot of enthusiast real world use.
Also, in regard to the cooler I'm fairly certain you could get an upgrade kit for the noctua either for free or a small amount of cash, noctua is pretty cool about all that.
I'll say this, i went with a 8350 over a 2500k when i built my rig, and in a lot of ways i regret that decision, specifically because of gaming. But that old chip still manages to keep up incredibly well, and even though it might lose out in gaming its a real gem for things like virtualization and rendering video, etc., which has actually really paid off for me a number of times. Either way you're going to have a good processor, so I wouldn't sweat it too much man!
Edit:
Also, bear in mind that the AM4 socket is going to be supported through 2020 at least. So you'll get a much longer life out of your motherboard and have a longer potential upgrade path than with the 7700k.
Forgot to mention that

You are coming from the premise that Ryzen will have a negative impact on performance in games.
Highest FPS and most megahertz is not the only metric that determines a great gaming experience.
I have yet to see anything that chokes down the R7,

thats a good point, a lot of people are claiming smoother gaming with it. And Level 1 tested it, and while everyone seemed to say the differences weren't significant, they did lean towards the 7700k and and 5960k having more significant stuttering in their double blind tests. And then looking at the data it showed that there were a handful of frames that were very bad in those systems, but it as too uncommon to even significantly effect the bottom 0.1% stat.

Eitherway both the 7700K and 1700 are very good cpuĀ“s.
It just mainly depends on where your primary focus on workloads lays.

The 1700 is the best consumer production CPU that also gives a great gaming experience.
It is true to what it claims to be, and at the best pricing especially with that discount wendell put up.

Well if i really have to do a recap on the whole Ryzen vs Intel debate.

The only relevent cpu on intel side atm is the 7700K for pure gaming.
I think there is no real argue about that.
But going with a R7-1700 wont be a bad choice either.

The i5-7600K allthough its still pulling ahead in certain games to a 1600X.
But if i look at the 0,1% low scores, then i do see some larger dips for the i5 in certain gaming testing scenarioĀ“s more frequently i think.
Which pretty much makes the R5-1600 or R5-1600X a better deal then the i5 to me.

Wenn we talk about Broadwell-E vs Ryzen 7 for productivity workloads and content creation.
Its just obvious that Broadwell-E isnt really that relevent there anymore from a price to performance perspective.
The R7-1700 is just a better value here.

But thats just my opinion.

Well I had the video game Conan Exiles running you tube was playing a how to video on unreal editor 4 that I was running as well...and I was searching on google.... I am happy with my 1700 and taichi board.

The idea is sooner or later your CPU will be bottle necked enough where those extra 10 frames do matter a lot. Making it about future proofing

Very few gamers buy a rig that can barely handle their workload on the day they buy it

I personally keep my hardware for at least a few years. Obviously not everyone does that, but i suspect a lot of us do. Especially with the stagnation on the CPU side of things in recent years

Because if intel keeps the market dominated by their 4 core products no one is going to make software that utilizes any more than that in their PC ports or PC games

If Intel is heading to 6 cores they sure aren't pricing like it.

They aren't pricing in a way anyone is going to own one for gaming

Thats not actually what happened. Its what some people got from it and in /r/AMD where they were of course taking it in exactly the same way youd expect, Wendel himself actually had to explain that

1. GTA5 is the game where there was more stutter.

2. He thinks its game engine bug.

Furthermore, it was discovered later, that its just that the i7 hits higher frame rates more often which in GTA5 triggers those serious stutters. In fact, it is able to be replicated on Ryzen cpus if you turn down settings so they reach that fps more often.

Have you seen a game that chokes down the I7?

Yup. The kit on Amazon is only 10 bucks. I still havent decided though, and I have a couple days left to switch.

This is true as I do already have a z170 board sitting here, so thats 80 bucks for a secondary board for the 6500 plus the ~500 of the i7 vs 460 of the 1700 +~140 for the motheroard, so thats only a 20 dollar difference.

It does mean though that id be depending on Ryzens successors to be competitive.

No reason to think it wont be. Plus, let's say intel gets 15% improvements over the 7700k and AMD only gets 10% over the 1700. To upgrade the intel part new motherboard+i7 you're looking at 500 or more, for AMD you're looking at 300ish. Is the extra 5% really worth the extra 200+? To my mind it isnt, and beyond that you could always switch to intel.
Way I see it, i7 now, means new i7+mobo or zen+ and new mobo later, r7 now means chip and motherboard now, new cpu or new i7+mobo later.

It depends. On the AMD side you have a lot more headroom for other stuff to be running while gaming. To me that makes a system much more usable.

In your hypothetical, wouldnt that be 5% on the already ~5-20% lead?

Also that last bit is hard to parse, but it, ignoring the nas plans temporarily is

i7 now (500)= New i7 + Motherboard in the future (~650) or Ryzen+ + Motherboard in the future (~610)

R7 now (600)= New I7 + Motherboard in the future (~650) or Ryzen+ (~460)

So yea, it is about an extra 100 not including the extra 6500 mobo or 180 including it for a deficit in performance now of about 5-20% (and an unknown in the future though probably smaller) if I change cpus within 3 years (which I probably will).

My point isn't about the I7, it's about Ryzen and it's value.
I'm not aware of any game that Ryzen wasn't able to deliver to the point where a user would feel the need for more performance say from the 7700K. It really does not matter if the 7700K reaches higher frames if Ryzen is consistently giving frames above the refresh rate without any stutter or freezes. If you can get both a great gaming experience plus unparalleled performance in workloads, with more future compatibility, then the choice is clear.

1 Like