£700 Gaming PC

I would go with 2x4GB ram dual channel. Will give a little more performance and 8GB will still be plenty for gaming for a long time yet.

I'm also thinking about getting a laptop instead of the PC as I do need something more portable. You may think this is really stupid as you can get much more power from a PC than a laptop. It is just the way my mind works. I don't really know what I want to get, a PC or a laptop. I weigh out the advantages and disadvantages of both but I just can't decide. The laptop is the same price with pretty decent specs. i7, 8gb ram, gtx 860m and a 1080p IPS display. I also don't know if I will play the games that will use the PC's GPU to its full potential. For example I don't think I will ever play Battlefield but I always look at benchmarks to decide which GPU to get. At the moment I only play League of Legends and Minecraft but that could be to do with me not having the hardware to be able to play the more graphically intensive games. I can never decide on little things like what to buy in a supermarket. How I will decide this I wonder. 

Anything you could say that will help me change my find towards either one. 

The single most important advantage of a PC over a laptop - for me anyways - is that you built it yourself from scratch with parts you hand-picked. You know you're not compromising on anything within your given budget. You can swap out and upgrade any components you want at any time and add more depending on your needs in the future (adding more storage, for example).

In my mind if I need a portable computer it doesn't need to have gaming capabilities because I don't use it for gaming. I game at home on my nice big 1080p display with my mechanical keyboard and gaming mouse. My portable PC is a cheap chromebook and it serves it's purpose (for me) just fine. But, not everyone has the same needs. If you need to or want to be able to game anywhere, then by all means, go for a laptop. 

Ultimately you have to decide for yourself. Everyone has different preferences and needs, so we can't tell you ultimately what you should do. ;)

Well you kind of did decide for me :P I know I won't be gaming on the go so I guess a cheap tablet or something will do for that. The PC will be the gaming beast. :)

Now I just need to make sure on the parts. Double check if you want to say. 

Going for this. http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Hc2Jt6  Really want that GTX 780 though xD

the motherboard, 4670K and cooler are for overclocking. strong word for you ?

Here's a more "polished" version. Hope you like it.   http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/67ZVD3

Have fun overclocking with a locked multiplier on the H87 chipset.  Instabilities are inbound and lots of headaches to come.

Pick up a motherboard with a Z87 or Z97 chipset if you want to overclock.

I don't know where to start.  Well then, from the top...

FX-6100.  Very old and inefficient architecture, even when compared to something like Sandy Bridge.

RAM speed does not affect gameplay with a dedicated graphics card in place.  No need for DDR3-2400.

Two hard drives?  Why...?  And why a blue and a green?  Greens have a very high failure rate due to their constant spin ups/downs as they try to save power.

Cooler Master GX power supply isn't very good quality.

FX-6100 is not the best CPU in the world but it definitely gets the job done (gaming-wise). My cousin has it in his build and even i tried it out. It's really, really good. Doesn't have to be new, he's not a poser. As for the RAM, since when does RAM speed not effect gameplay ? Not everybody plays a game with one window open these days... I know I don't. Be that as it may, the GPU does suffice for his needs and more. Why 2 HDD's ? Because he can afford them. Everybody knows, the more memory the better. No offence but what you're saying about the caviar green's is absolutely 100% wrong. I have a caviar green and it run's so smoothly with not that much noise and it save's a hell of a ton of power. Caviar greens in my opinion are very efficient and worth the money. As for the PSU... you claim it's not good quality, I ask have you ever tried it yourself ? No ? Then don't comment. I've seen plenty of builds with the CoolerMaster GX PSU and VERY few complaints. It's as good as any. I don't like power supply's that aren't modular but that doesn't make them and i quote "not very good quality". I really hope you learned a thing or two. Thanks for commenting.

i agree. mistake on my part.

I would still say my build is better. i5 and r9 280x is better than a fx6100 and gtx 760.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWgzA2C61z4

Just going to leave this here.

lol just lol. ok yours is better xD

Oh. Should've known your one of the "youtube people" who don't actually do their research and read articles.

Show me the articles, then, that show significant performance improvements.  In your statement, you indicate that higher ram speed means you can have more programs/windows open.

As for the RAM, since when does RAM speed not effect gameplay ? Not everybody plays a game with one window open these days... I know I don't.

Ram Frequency != Ram Capacity.

Faster RAM will help in things such as Video Editing/Rendering.  For gaming and other applications, the performance difference is little to none.

[I already wrote this in that other thread, wanna make sure you don't miss it] Just for the record, stalking me into multiple threads and just criticising what i have to say is kinda lame and childish. Just saying.

Have you seen Linus's video on RAM speeds. The difference between 1333 and 2400 is around 1fps. 

Also for your build i said i wanted something small, not a full ATX build.

It occurs to me that you're just cheap. Sorry, but not sorry. :D So what if you get 2 RAM sticks that are a bit more powerful ? What if you wanted to get into Graphic design or phishing or whatever ? Doesn't hurt.

(the video I just linked, and got called a 'youtuber guy' for it)

There are plenty of other tests as well, revealing that RAM clock speeds do not affect gaming when you have a CPU + dGPU

Ok you're clearly slow. I didn't say that it's JUST for gaming. Learn to read. I said multiple windows which can mean anything from gaming to photoshop to recording, whatever.