700€ Build without a case

Two reasons actually. The first is that the PSU will not hit max specification (or close to it), increasing longevity of the PSU.

The other is that thinking in terms of two to four years down the line when the kid will want to buy a better GPU for that system, and perhaps a better CPU as well. May not fit the budget now, but if all you need to do in the future to pop in a 4900X and an RX 7700 XT to play the latest games, well, not having to pay for a PSU allows you to buy the next tier of CPU or GPU. Spending an extra €20 on that now is worth it, in my opinion.

If a single GPU/CPU combo is all you are pushing, going above 650W does not make any sense whatsoever.

I kinda agree and disagree with you both on this…
For the last decade 450W have been perfectly fine for a mid range system. So the argument of “in couple years” is invalid here.
However I kinda do agree 550 will be much better for everything - efficiency, since it will be between 50 an 80% load, noise since the fan won’t have to spin as fast because thermals, it won’t heat up as much…

Also Vega 56 unless really cheap is really not a good choice if you ask me… 5700 is both faster, cooler and uses less power…

Agreed! Currently the best deal in GPUs. I would vote for a sapphire pulse card because the cooler is really nice and the card is dirt cheap sometimes. Companies making team green cards as well will skimp out on the AMD side, so I would try to stay away from that Asus model. (The MSI 5700XT review on Gamers Nexus is the latest example.)

2 Likes