7" USB ONLY Display for Sensor Panel

Preface: This is NOT going inside of my case. It will be set top or clamp style arm mounted, not VESA. I have no access to a 3D printer or mill and no experience with a CAD program for design to make a case. I cannot use a multi-monitor setup as I am using a Couchmaster Cycon² (has built-in USB 3.0 hub with fast charging port at 5V/2 amps max) with my computer connected to my TV.

I’ve been searching for a couple of weeks for a USB only (no HDMI/DVI/VGA/DP) 7" display around 15mm thickness (1.5mm tolerance WITH case) and have yielded few results. The goal is to create a sensor panel to monitor temps and other parameters at a glance. The following are promising and are fully assembled and/or ready to go, but with some caveats:

1. BeadaPanel 7"
    • Caveat: The case is 35mm thickness
  2. Elo 0702L
    • Caveat 1: Despite stating that it is a “single cable solution,” it actually requires 2 USB ports on the host end
    • Caveat 2: Slightly above my thickness tolerance, but might still be doable
  3. Densitron 7"
    • Caveat: Cannot find for sale and has no protective casing

If anyone has any experience with the aforementioned displays or other recommendations, your knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Note: I need functionality for both Windows and Linux.

OPTIONAL APPROACH

The past few days I have been contemplating building my own. If anyone has any recommendations on parts, I think it would be a very fun first maker project. Once built and tested I could probably find a local mill or 3D printing service that can help me design a case.

The ONE thing that I require most that there is no leeway on is that the board ONLY have a USB port for display and power. I don’t care about touch functionality.

What I am looking for guidance on if going the DIY route would be:

• List of parts necessary for a complete display assembly
  • Recommendations on said parts

Any and all guidance for either approach would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time and have a wonderful day. :smiley: