6850K / GTX1080 Productivity Box, from Nov 2016 (Video!)

Hi all,

Thought I’d share a build log I posted on my channel,

I discuss parts selection here,

Thought I’d share some context - at this point in time, I had relied on Macs since 2001.

I used to watercool, hack custom PCs together prior to that from circa 1992, and into my high-school years. I left for Uni in 2001 and that’s when my “Mac-era” started, simply because I travelled a huge lot. I used to typically move with a PowerBook G4/MacBook Pro and later progressed to adding a PowerMac G5 and I went through several iterations of this combo - right through undergrad and then to postgrad life.

Nov 2016, with this build, marked my return to owning a PC again. At the time, I mainly wanted a gaming box, but I ended up dual-booting linux and Windows 10. This box is attached to a Predator X34 and gaming has been pretty amazing on it, with titles such as Rise of the Tomb Raider and Dota 2.

Cons:

• If I was doing this again, the TUF board was a bad choice, given its age. However, I went for it as where I live is extremely dusty, and I thought that extra endurance would help. That said, the box has been rock solid.
  • Poor overclocks, and I’m running 32GB DDR4 Dominator Plats. If I enable XMP, damn thing won’t boot.
  • XMP off, booting with sync all cores and core ratio = 40

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/WBsJ7P