64tb backup and storage server

Good day to everyone reading this forum page

I am not that good at elaborate writing so I will keep it too the point.

I want too build a backup and storage server for myself, my family and my extended family (aunts, uncles, cousins, etc)

• The system needs be able to both backup and store data from local computers and over the internet
  • It needs too be compatible with both Mac and Windows
  • Data sent over the internet needs too be encrypted
  • Each user needs to have a account so they can only access there backups and data
  • For the data storage, it would be ideal if the data part would appear as a hard drive next too the C drive in windows and similar for a mac
  • All data stored needs too be redundant (ZFS z2 ?) and the data must not experience bit rot over extended periods of time
  • I would like too get about 64TB of total storage with it divided about 60/40 for backup and data respectively.
  • The data storage will be used for photos, movies and music. In essence a home media server
  • Internet bandwidth is not a problem as I have fibre with a 500MB symmetrical connection
  • Regarding backups, it would be great if the server could make and delete snapshots at regular programmed intervals. The end goal is too be able to retrieve varius stages of a file along with being able too do a complete restore if needed.
  • I live in the Netherlands and do not have a particular preference for retailer.
  • I have a budget of about 3000 Euros which is about 3700 USD as of the time of writing.
  • On the data side I plan too have a family folder which everyone can access

Thank you for reading all of that, I know it’s quite dense.
I have built my own computer but am not familiar with servers and mass storage solutions.

I hope someone can help or point me in the right direction.

edit 1: from 128TB too 64TB

18x 8TB Western Digital Gold drives in 2x RAIDZ2 pools would be my off-the-cuff recommendation.

It will cost much more than that.

45drives is a good vendor for something like this. I quickly spec’d out an appropriate config of the Q30 and it was around $10k.

https://www.45drives.com/products/storinator-q30-configurations.php

2 Likes

Yea 3-4k will be spent on hard drives alone for 128tb. Do you really need that much space?

To piggy back on that, would your family even use the space?

Mine certainly wouldn’t.

You could do all of this on a rackmount FreeNAS build. Unfortunately, your budget won’t allow for a complete build.

Idea 1 would be to start smaller and add capacity overtime. I don’t know what your access to used enterprise equipment is but Supermicro makes some great 24 Bay 4U rackmount options. In the states, you can get a barebones 24 Bay SAS2 backplane server in the $400-$600 range without motherboard, ram, processors, or HBA card.

Idea 2 would be to have the family fork over some money to help out. If you could raise about twice what you have as your budget right now, I’m fairly certain you could acheive your full system build by going with a unit you source piece by piece.

As someone else mentioned, a prebuilt solution would probably cost north of $10,000.

1 Like

I’ll second this. We are using their 24 bay 4u systems in a data center and they’re wonderful. Failure rate is as expected, one in about 100 power supplies over 3 years, no other failures.

We’re just now starting to have supermicro boards fail after being subjected to overly hot conditions that are out of spec and non-stop operation for 8 years.

:+1: would reccomend

1 Like

I have read all the comments and consulted with my family. It does seem that I have overestimated the amount of data that they use by quite a bit. This was due too the number of external hard drives they have next too there computers along with that some of them are graphical designers. 64 TB (including parody) should be enough too store everything and be operable for some time.

Currently looking at the supermicro 24 bay 4u chase.

Every time somebody builds a NAS and is from the EU i have to send them x-case… I swear i am not paid to advertise them xD. It’s just that i don’t any other cheaper option for us here

https://www.xcase.co.uk/collections/4u-rackmount-cases

EDIT: It seams that their “eXtra Value chassis” is sold out for a long time now.

I hate to rely on compression and de-dupe when sizing personally as I deal with a lot of incompressible (already compressed) data, but I find that “everything else” compresses better than I expect and it all adds up to needing less space in total.

Even more so if you can get any benefit from de-dupe.

You might do some spot checks of typical folders for your use case and see how well they compress. Raidz compression works very very well, can speed things up actually.

Not only are dozens of disks going to break your budget, but also controllers and ram.