$600 budget, bare-bones build, FX or X99? (See post for plenty of details)

here is the thing about zen. it's not coming out very soon. supposedly Q4 so late fall/winter however as we saw with polaris, supply did not in fact meet the demand. further more i have heard that they will not release all of zen on the same day but release the 8 core first and then the next highest up ect.... but this is hearsay. the point is it could be late 2016 or early 2017 before you actually have the parts in your living room. by the time you get it trump could be in office and WW3 could have already started. with the other options you could have it in your hands within a week or two, sooner if you pay for express shipping.

3 Likes

I was thinking an E5-1620 V3 and an inexpensive board.

I think the 1620 is my best bet. A 5820 would be great, especially with the ability to overclock, but a 1620 should get the job done. I mean, I'm upgrading from a Phenom 945, lol.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1620 V3 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($287.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI X99A Raider ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($167.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: PNY Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: PNY Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Other: SPIRE THERMAX ECLIPSE II SP984B1-V2 ($51.00)
Total: $616.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-24 23:26 EDT-0400

Of course after all this... waiting for Zen is very tempting. If AMD knows what is good for them it will be a totally bitching chipset paired with good processors at a bargain price. I could just throw $100 worth of a new board/cooler/RAM at my old 945, overclock it a bit, and get through to the end of the year.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 Plus ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard ($67.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Team Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Other: SPIRE THERMAX ECLIPSE II SP984B1-V2 ($51.00)
Total: $218.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-25 04:03 EDT-0400

Early indications are the Skylake-x will not support LGA 3647. But will support LGA-2011-v3 however a Intel are making new PCH.

http://wccftech.com/intel-skylake-x-kaby-lake-x-q2-2017-roadmap-leak/

Do not buy ES chips!

I can not help you if you refuse to read.

Z170 only supports 64GB of RAM though. :/

So you are telling me that you want to go X99 because of Minecraft and Chrome?

Well of course that would be ridiculous... the Skylake CPU is far more reasonable.

But my Tek Hardware-watching fanboyism X99-thirst is strong.

1 Like

"Why?"

"Because I can!"

I have no problem with that reasoning. :D
X99 is fun for sure. If you want it, go for it.

If it is not about being reasonable I'd like to follow the invitation from @SocksNSandals and tell you about the Xeon E5 2670. :P

Those are Sandy Bridge chips from 2012 and they can run in dual CPU config. Back then they were around 1500,- Dollars each and today you can buy them for 150,- ... a pair. So what do you get? Well, 8 cores per chip times two in dual config + hyperthreading and boosting up to 3GHz on all 32 threads.

The catch? Pricing and availability for boards. I bought a dual socket ASRock server board for 300,- Euro and an (also dual socket) Asus Z9PE D8 WS for 435,- Euro, both new. And from everything I read here that have been pretty lucky deals. Still, with the CPUs costing basically peanuts compared to anything else in that performance range, it is the deal of the decade.

1 Like

The recommended specs are minimums...
For example, an I7-4790k with a GTX Titan Black only runs the game at 56% speed @_@

well how many threads does the game use? should check out your resource monitor in the task manager while it's running

It's also probably not very well optimized as of yet

It seems to load up 3-4 cores.
Point is I can't afford to slack too much on single core performance... probably.

Well then you don't really need too much more than a skylake i5 man

I mean, nobody 'needs' a PC to play games. But I'd like to run FTD as fast as possible, and that's what my budget is for.

So then if it only uses 4 threads, you want an i5 6600K running as fast as you can OC it I suppose. so instead of putting the money towards X99, you'd want a nice Z170 board and plenty of cooling

I don't think I need quite that many cores though, especially not double-CPU, lol.

But looking at old Zeons, I was wondering if the E5-1620 (v1) is still good. They are super cheap and overclock really well, but the version 1 are X79 :/ and Z79 overclocking boards are really expensive :(

So, after going over the benchmarks and prices, I am much more seriously considering making a cheap Skylake box, and hopefully sell it if Zen is awesome, or make it just strong enough to not care. OR cheap enough to put it on HTPC/couch gaming and not miss it.

So at minimum I think an I5-6400 is good, and a 6600k is a great value but a little overkill for a "temporary" system. Plus with the 6600k I'd want a good board and probably a water cooler. Not sure about cooling because I have no experience with OC. I also don't know what boards other than Sabertooth have easy-overclocking features.