5950X ---> Threadripper

People actually multitasking and having background processes. You are legally obliged to only run these on a real server!

But everything >32GB is a waste, no game needs this. It is known :slight_smile:

You aren’t alone. Most applications didn’t catch up to the cheap and large memory modules available today. Really different from what we experienced in the last 20 years. I feel the same when using my laptop (strictly casual desktop stuff).

But some of us can’t ever get enough memory and bandwidth. Because when I see memory, I see things I can load into that memory. 10 times the cores, 10 times the need for memory. And with cache and compression (e.g. linux page cache,zram or zfs ARC) being a thing, so much less bytes under my custody have to suffer from sub-DRAM performance. DRAM bytes are happy bytes! :wink:

3 Likes

In the span of a little over a year, I went from “32GB is plenty”, to 64, to 128, and just recently moved up to Threadripper so I could have 256GB. I snagged an ASUS TRX-40 Prime and 3960X from someone on /r/hardwareswap for $1500 shipped. I don’t need bleeding edge compute, and that seemed like a hell of a deal. That system is currently using 190GB and I’ve seen it as high as 220GB.

Buy based on your own needs and what will last a reasonable amount of time before you have to upgrade. With the combination of rapidly evolving technology and runaway inflation, buying “the best” brand new seldom makes sense.

1 Like

Apologies for my delay, I seriously injured my spine, was in the VA hospital, have been very very sick due to pain and medications. I have been offered surgery but didn’t do it yet. I have been thinking about you guys and the site and thread, wanted to be here but couldn’t bring myself to it until now. Thank you so much for all of your input, the machine is not built yet but all of it is here pretty much, I am enjoying doing unboxing videos on our channel. Please consider subscribing if you like, any support is appreciated. I will need to read over my original post, to see how much of an ass I sounded when I wrote it, lolol. This has been a gigantic project for me, the added stress of my wife and I splitting up has made it much slower, but the PC build, and learning new things and all I can about audio / video helps me get through each day, I am 57 now, still a disabled American veteran, but working when I can and making great money. Holding on to my Christian values helps a lot, and the fact that I am a dad and have had two wives now and a very blessed life without a doubt! I am looking forward to finding my next wife, I just love being married!

Project Start Date 05-01-22 – Mechanizer II (updated 08-23-2022): AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 Cores / 32 Threads CPU (Central Processing Unit) @ 3.4GHz – 4.9GHz 64MB L3 Cache 105W Unlocked Best Buy MB TN $602.53 (MSRP $799.99) 05-12-22, ASUS – NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X PCI Express 4.0 Strix GPU – Black (Graphics Processing Unit) Best Buy BW TN $1426.74 (MSRP $1,999.99) 0-08-22, ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero AMD AM4 X570s MB (Main Board) & Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 128GB (4x32GB) DDR4 3600MHz CAS Latency 18 RAM (Random Access Memory) Amazon & New Egg Direct $1,162.10 (MSRP $499.99 & $699.99) 08-03-22, Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 NVME M.2 2T SSD (Solid State Drive) @ 7000 MBs Best Buy $296.31 (MSRP $379.99) 06-08-22, Corsair AX1600i Digital ATX PSU (Power Supply Unit) 1600 Watt Fully-Modular 80 PLUS Titanium Gallium Nitride Transistors Corsair Direct $669.46 (MSRP 609.99) 08-06-22, ASUS ROG Herculx Graphics Card Anti-Sag Holder Bracket (Solid Zinc Alloy Construction) Amazon $50.47 (MSRP $45.99) 08-06-22, Corsair Airflow 7000D ATX/Mini ITX/Micro ATX/EATX Full-tower Case Black BW TN Best Buy $257.90 (MSRP $259.99) 08-08-22, Corsair iCUE H170i ELITE LCD Display Liquid CPU Cooler-Custom IPS LCD Screen-48 Dynamic RGB LEDs-140mm Fans -420mm Radiator-Commander Core Smart Lighting Controller & Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme High Performance Thermal Paste Amazon $362.15 (MSRP 309.99 & $19.99) 08-08-22, Corsair Premium Individually Sleeved PSU Cables Pro Kit for Corsair PSUs – Red Amazon $120.71 08-18-22.

Enjoy the video link below. Maybe Threadripper next time for sure!!! Total cost to date = $4,948.37 total delivered (includes: tax 9.75% Williamson County TN, shipping, price matches, price drops, discounts, military discounts, 2 year replacement warranty on some parts, all manufactures warranties). MSRP = $5,746.61 + $560.29 Tax @ 9.75% = $6,306.90 total. Mechanizer II ~ PC Rig Pre Build Promo ~ 08-22-22 - YouTube

OK so looked up your profile, website, etc.

Doesn’t add up…

I saw that.

strange, creepy?

Bored and wondering what the motivation is to build a system purely for bragging rights (with no other purpose) was…

If you’re not looking for that sort of attention, why advertise/brag so much in your profile, website, etc.?

LOLOLOL…get a life dude…get out more…hahaha

I’m isolating with covid right now :man_shrugging:

OK, get well soon

Before I got to sleep here, just to try and answer your question some, I wanted to build this, because if I take the average life spans of both my grandfathers and my dad, I have about 6 more years to live, and I wanted to build something people might remember me by, seriously. I am not very smart, never completed college despite trying multiple times, I have severe disabilities because I was nearly murdered and killed as a child in 1969 but survived, so I over compensate sometimes and I am aware of this. I am not a linux guy like you, but I did cut my teeth on DOS and command line back in 1989, I would like to learn more about it, of course I get tired of Windows and Microsoft. I apologize for being snappy and rude, didn’t set out to, and hope you do get well soon from COVID, I had it and was extremely sick for a month. My dad was an alcoholic as was his dad, and my parents got divorced when I was 5, I am trying to stay sober and to pay my own bills and live on my own without help from my mother or family. I am in and out of the hospital a lot, and suffer from suicidal ideation but I am OK, in America 7 out of 10 suicides are white Caucasian men between the ages of 24 and 54, it is brutally stressful for men here, I am a white Caucasian man, and I lived through it and hold my head high with some modest pride that I am alive and breathing each day, it helps me keep going. Hope all that helps anyone and everyone understand, God bless, and have a great day or night as the case may be. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.