5800x3D pairing with RTX4090

Hello everyone, I currently own a 3950x and 3090 but I’m looking to upgrade to a 4090 but I don’t want to spend on Ryzen 7000 series because its just way to expensive. I was considering the 5800x3D because this will be a gaming only focused system with a little light rendering, I play at 1440p. Is the 5800x3D a good pairing with the 4090? I want the maximum value I can get so would it be better to upgrade my 1440p monitor to a 4k 160hz and keep my 3950x? Thanks.

1 Like

It should be. But the thing is, if you can wait a little more, it is definitely a good idea to wait and see what Radeon has to offer. Their chiplet design for the CPU performed so well that you ought to see what they have to offer against the Nvidia before you make a purchase decision.

1 Like

The reviews that I’ve seen were showing the 4090 being bottle necked by the cpu and game engine on many titles - and that was with a 7950X. I wouldn’t even consider the GPU for gaming at 1440p, it’s a 4k card for when you want max ray tracing.

Personally I’d wait for the Zen 4 X3D cpus that are supposedly coming early next year. Then you have more of a chance of using all that power. Though honestly if you’re going to buy a 4090 at some point anyway, getting one early won’t change anything.

3 Likes

@1440p ? no.
the 4090 is a 4k card. and as above says will bottleneck any cpu currently available and likely available for the next 2 years at least.

i would however suggest you upgrade your cpu as your current one is bottlenecking the 3090 already.
the 5800x3d would be a great upgrade for gaming paired with some 3600 low latency ram.
but the 5950x will match it in titles that dont use lots of cache. and is around the same price but with 8 more cores… :slight_smile:
quite a choice. but i think i would still go with the 5800x3d.

2 Likes

Thank you for all of your replies, so if I bought a 4k 144hz monitor ( Gigabyte M32UC 31.5" 4K 160Hz 1ms FreeSync) and kept my current 3950x how would that go? I have a nice board (Formula x570) with 64gb of Ram so I kind of wanted to keep it. I have $4000AUD to spend on either a 4090 and 4k monitor or upgrading my cpu, board and ram. Ryzen 7000 series is way to expensive because the boards are double the price here. I considered waiting for the new 3D chips but I kind of just want something to last me the next 3 years and want to buy now.

So keep the 3950x and buy a 4k monitor and 4090 or just upgrade my cpu, board and ram and keep the 3090?

your still gonna leave performance on the table with the 3950x. even at 4k
you have everything by the sounds of it.
with the only real beneficial update being the cpu.

pick one between the 5950x and the 5800x3d. both will slot into your current board and both will work better with the 3090 to the point you may not need the 4090. (the 4090 is for people who either have more money than sense. or more money than sense. :wink: )
its gimped for high refresh 4k also so not ideal.

2 Likes

I guess I better just spend more… I was hoping to get out of it cheaper but it is what it is I guess. Thanks for the reply.

look up jayztwocents and gamers nexus reviews of the gpu’s
and then look at anthony’s from ltt.
they may sway your opinion either way.

1 Like

Honestly I would wait for 7000 series with vCache. Its clear that the 4090 needs to be used on a 4k 120+ monitor and needs to be paired with the fastest CPU possible.

I wont be getting a 4090 mostly because nvidia are assholes about linux, but I do plan to get an RDNA 3 based RX 7000 series card. My 5900x is its fast enough that nothing other than vCache makes sense as an upgrade.

Based on the rumor mill, AMD will be releasing/shipping 7000x3d in Q1 of 2023 which is not far away.

Plus Nvidia has over produced the 4090, and there is a flood 3090’s on the market now so the price WILL drop.

So given your on a top end CPU and top end GPU you will not realize the full performance or “value” with an upgrade today. I strongly suggest waiting until after the new year when you can pair a 7800x3d with a 4090 which should have dropped in price some.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, yea that would be smarter. I’ll get the 4090 and a 4k 144hz monitor for now then get onboard with AM5 and a 3D processor. Thanks.

Fingers crossed we get a 7950x3d!

that would be such a beast!

3 Likes

Whether you end up staying on AM4 or not you should be able to flip that 3950X for US$300-ish. Good luck!

1 Like

So I’ve decided to go witht the 7950x and Asrock X670E Taichi Carrara E-ATX Motherboard, Kingston Fury Renegade RGB 32GB(2x16) DDR5-6000 Memory CL32 lowest CAS I could find here. I already bought my Be Quiet 802 but I noticed that Gamers Nexus doesn’t recommend it with E-ATX boards, I can’t find any info on if its going to fit ok in my case. Any idea?

You might have an issue if the mobo has a 90degree angle connectora

1 Like

Its got the 24 pin in the normal direction so its not right angle, it looks like I migth be able to pull it off. I’ve got my heart set on the Asrock board because it looks beautiful.

1 Like

I would get the 4090, because without it you won’t be playing any games at 4K above 60 Hz, anyway. However, with it you will get better 2K performance, and that’s at least worth something.

1 Like

I’ve decided to hold off till the RDNA3 launch, tbh I never use DLSS or RT in the games I play, most of the games I play are older like Battlefield 1 and Red Alert 2 with some new games thrown in like Terminator Resistance and Robocop next year. The only other game I play allot of is Deep Rock Galactic but I’m going to start playing Star Citizen when my new rig is built. I went and ordered/paid for the Asrock Taichi Carrara, 7950x, Kingston Fury Renegade CL32 6000mhz Ram and a 980 Pro 500gb today but its going to be at least 2 weeks wait for the Ram and board. I’ll wait for RDNA3 and see how that goes, I’m hoping for a $1500AUD 7900XT that at least keeps up with the 4090 is raster because as I said I don’t really use RT or DLSS anyways. I would probably better off just upgrading my monitor to a Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" 4K 240Hz instead of buying a new GPU because of the games I play but I’ll probably grab both in the end.

turns out the latest ltt benches show the 5800x3d bottlenecks across the board with a 3090 or better.
switching from the 3090 to a 4090 delivered zero extra frames per second.
at all resolutions.

1 Like

Damn who would have thought we would be held back by our processors…

this might be a problem for amd coz the only thing stopping the 7000x chips from bottlenecking the same way is the dye shrink.
7nm down to 5nm isnt a great deal so may not be enough to alleviate all bottlenecking on the 4090.
and then there’s the new cards.
if amd out perform the 4090 with there new rdna. they wont have a cpu in there own range to handle that gpu. :astonished:

1 Like