5700/xt drivers really that bad?

I have the XFX 5700 with the XFX 5700XT bios flashed to it. No issues at all with it.

I’ll chime in late - I have two 5700XTs one reference one AIB - I have used them with systems supporting PCIe G4 and PCIe G3 and with plane-jane 60Hz no adaptive sync tech monitors, 144Hz Free sync monitors, 100 & 144Hz G sync monitors all without issues. Admittedly, I do not OC GPUs and typically don’t mess with fan curves or running multiple displays off same card either so perhaps I am not a good example in that respect.

well why don’t you go to AMD and tell them don’t fix it if it isn’t broken?

and do you really want me to remove my second screen?
how does a driver fix defect hardware…

I feel that the majority of folks that have issues are down to not installing drivers correctly - by that I mean removing old drivers first - something like DDU etc.

that’s the job of the AMD installer not mine!

Hmmm you must never have had to troubleshoot a problem before.

Or to put it another way,

To which I would also like to add, calm down on the exaggeration so far not one person has complained of game stopping issues anywhere here. So EVERY user is just an insyweensy, tiny bit of a small, miniscule infinitesimaly small, slightly MASSIVELY over stating the problem.

Similar to

Just because you have a problem does not mean EVERY user does.

It sucks you have a problem and I think everyone here has stated that they are NOT (in case you miss that word again) perfect and do need to improve but let’s just ignore that right?

2 Likes

so you want me to yet again quote the driver releases notes?

and yes if a driver needs another tool to be used so you can install a driver properly that’s a major driver bug. the amd driver installer has this feature integrated and i even know there support recommends to DDU instead do you have words for this?

and you want a bug they are mostly not going to fix anytime soon?
feel free to test hardware deinterlancing or the whole DXVA2 processing.

we can talk about meta data issues with AGS too but that harder to test.
and no there is no user with an navi GPU that got it working.

and yes i’m totally aware that not every one has the same issues as me that’s why i listed thing every user will have.

the people that are lucky enough not to encounter them are again just as miniscule as me the difference is i can qoute a AMD driver release and the rest can just say but it worked for me. see the difference. i even had to put my 5700 xt in my HTPC because i couldn’t use my gaming PC without the driver crashing every 15 mins i just had to do it to prove the card is fine because guess what… except for the issues every user has and the hardware decoder can crash the driver issue i had none. is it my freesync screen, the refresh rate a the dual screen set up, the windows build , the AMD CPU or combination of them i don’t know i’m not alone not even close to it.

and what is this:

this is clearly no damage control from AMD because there is nothing wrong with the current driver situation. but it’s bad hardware right? maybe i should RMA my totally fine GPU because why else should the driver crash just think about it another user on the internet with no proof at all said he had no problems so i have to be the problem. AMD saying there is something not working for a not that small group of user(i kinda respect this even through it should never have come to this) is an coincident right?

20.1.3 look who is back again in the know issues it was in fixed issues too “details”.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-1-3

Some Radeon RX 5700 series graphics users may intermittently experience a black screen while gaming or on desktop. A potential temporary workaround is disabling hardware acceleration in applications running in the background such as web browsers or Discord.

welcome back i can’t remember you have ever left but whatever nice to have you.

yes nvidia has it share with blue screen crashes with a game i can instantly find an example but the different is you will not find the same driver crashing bug “fixed” every couple of driver releases in there driver releases notes.

I think people have been complaining about the ATI/AMD drivers being broken since always. You can tell yourself it’s going to get better all you want but it won’t :laughing:
Drivers will mature, sure. New hardware from AMD will always have problems. Thankfully I only noticed a small graphical glitch with my 5700xt in one game on mesa 19.2, which is now fixed in 19.3 so I feel lucky so far. :smiley:

Since your talking about adobe and windows. I would say go with Nividia. The rise of Linux has made the whole gpu landscape confusing.
Amd seems to keep pace and even surpass Nvidia in windows performance, but the drivers seem to be sloppy/broken based off reports, almost as if AMD is putting they’re money down on Consoles and Linux.
In the world of Linux Nvidia does well with opengl and some productivity programs. But AMD is an absolute rising monster through dxvk/vulkan.
The truth of the matter is that vulkan is the future and from that perspective.

5600xt/5700 = 2070 Super
5700xt = 2080 Super

Rx 5700xt was only 20% slower then an rtx 2080 ti even in opengl with Shadows of the Tomb Raider native Linux port.

Amd Linux Driver is very stable. You might say it’s the most stable gpu driver period. I just got a 5700 and have yet to full test the card.
Technically I had glitches when I swapped out Vega 56.
I heard rumors you can just hot swap amd cards on Linux open source driver. I had luck in the past.
Anyway I did a fresh install and the rx 5700 ran fine even with the crappy, but cheap xfx dd ultra.
Going further into the mess, temperatures at 100% usage was high and junction point was around 90.
However I’ve now installed arctic accelero extreme iii and have yet to test thermals again.
I think the big issue with the rx 5700 was really just the coolers from every single manufacturer.
I’d recommend getting a cheap 5700 and installing aftermarket cooler if you swing amd. It’s a joy putting your own gpu together anyway and the coolers are reusable.
My Arctic Extreme III used to tame the R9 390.
The media has done a lot to down talk AMD because it’s extremely windows biased.
Many will think I’m crazy, but in the long run Linux will likely be the most used operating system on desktops.
Davinci Resolve is a replacement for Adobe and it works on Linux, but it’s completely understandable to use Adobe if you don’t want to learn Resolve. My point is just for video editing they’re equally as good. Apple/ Orange kinda thing.

So at the end of the day.

Think nvidia then amd for windows
Think amd then nvidia for Linux

As you said are 5700/xt drivers really that bad?

“Maybe, but only in windows and they’ll likey be fixed and work better then Nvidia’s drivers”

Another thing to remember is that in general Nvidia cards are stable and consistent.
AMD cards start rocky, but get faster, faster, faster and faster.

In 2020 I tested the rx 470 and gtx 1060. The rx 470 was about 20% faster and pulling less power. Nvidia is the fox, amd is the turtle.

Hi all, just thought i’d give an update. I decided to go with the Gigabyte 5700.

So far so good! Once i got drivers installed everything has been super smooth.

Along with the 5700, i added a couple more monitors to my workspace.

setup

2 Likes

Well i think people should look at this from a novice users perspective.
People pay allot of money for a product and expect it to work fine out of the box without any driver issue nonsense.

I still see many people struggle with drivers in general.
From black screen crashes to like green screens when new card,
and driver is installed to bsods etc.
And that kinda frustrates people, because many people,
aren’t as tech savy to dive deeper into the issue then most of use are.
But instead allot of people got fed up with it,
and complain everywhere they had a bad experience with said cards,
and will never buy a said card again etc.

Nomatter if we talk about AMD or Nvidia drivers, not every system is the same.
And drivers can act differently on all systems.
So yeah drivers can actually be bad, but it also highly differs from system to system.
issues with drivers will generally only being acknowledged,
when there are enough people complaining.
And of course telemetry actually plays a role in that as well.
If they want to improve drivers they simply need data.

I am interested to hear what the 5700s Linux users have to say.

I can tell you didn’t read the thread …or even look at it. I must be psychic.

just the OP, usually GN is pretty good about explaining things. they gave specific example of things that are still issues for some users currently… at least as of that video.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.