5600G Black screen after APU Driver installation [Solved, bad CPU]

Hi,

I’ve put together the following for a family member:

• AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
  • Gigabyte AMD Ryzen A520 AM4 Mini-ITX Motherboard
  • Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800) C18 Optimized for AMD Ryzen
  • PSU 750W
  • WD Blue 1TB NVME

Not my first build, but am having serious problems with it black screening after windows installs driver (automatically) or if I install the APU software from the Gigabyte website (I’ve tried versions 20.45.36 and 20.12.1) but as soon as the usual expected screen goes black for the usual screen coming back on, it never comes back, I can see the monitor does start to receive a signal again from the IPS glow, but it is just a black screen.

So to test what is going on I done the following:

• Replaced NVME with one I know that works (no fix)
  • Replaced RAM with one from my machine (no fix)
  • Changed RAM slot with my ram (no fix)
  • Changed HDMI cable to the one used on my 2nd monitor (no fix)
  • Tried alternate HDMI port on mobo, with both cables (no signal)
  • Tried display port and my DP cable (no signal)
  • Tried the 1000w PSU from my machine, with my ram and nvme (no fix)
  • Re-installed windows 10 (about 6 times) (fixed till drivers updated or apu driver installed - no fix)
  • Installed windows 11 (fixed till drivers updated or apu driver installed - no fix)
  • Tried to install Ubuntu (locks up after menu selection try/install ubuntu - bit odd)
  • BIOS - Checked AHCI is enabled (it is and was already)
  • BIOS - Flashed bios to latest version (no fix)
  • BIOS - Underclocked RAM (mine and new) and CPU (no fix)
  • BIOS - XMP Profile enabled & disabled, for both new and my old ram (no fix)
  • DDU in safe mode, removed driver (either the one that windows installs or the actual radion one) - (fixed but am not able to install any graphics drivers other than default intel adaptor / microsoft generic display drivers)
  • Tried alternate monitor capable of 4K 120Hz (no fix)

CPU or Mobo? But this seems like a software problem?

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

I think you’ve eliminated just about all possibles other than it being a hardware issue. I’m leaning toward the CPU but it certainly could be the motherboard. I have two suggestions if you want to explore further but I’m doubtful either will resolve the problem. You really need a spare parts to be sure (have another AM4 APU around the house?)

1 Like

Thanks for the advice… And the link, seems the Gigabyte one is way older…

I’ve just requested a return and replacement of the CPU from amazon, should be with me by tomorrow hopefully. But if it’s the mobo, I got that from ebuyer and they take weeks to do an RMA.

Sadly I don’t have another AM4 chip around, I got an i9900k in my machine, but I can try out my 3080 in it. I will give that a go tomorrow if the new CPU doesn’t work, then I guess it must be the mobo…

I will update this thread once I get the new cpu in. :+1:

Did you connect the PSU to the SOC power (usually located near the “top” side of the motherboard?

So much of this. I’m not doubtful in the slightest that it’s the problem. I have had past experiences getting drivers from places other than the source, and with the exception of the Omega drivers waaay back in the day, I always stuck to the vanilla drivers directly from the manufacturer’s website and never installed any of the bloatware that came with it. I’ve repaired a few computers that had very strange behavior that was caused by graphics drivers from mobo manufacturers and fixed them by uninstalling everything they used to try to get it working (drivers + bloat) and installed manufacturer provided drivers, with reboots as needed, to get things working properly.

If there was a genuine issue with the graphics side of things on the APU, using a dedicated card like a RTX 3080 wouldn’t help much with diagnosis because there could potentially be an issue with power or overheating VRM’s.

To avoid any more hardware replacements, you can try any modern Linux OS on a live USB, or DVD (lol) since the APU’s work out of the box. Assuming you have any amount of Steam games, you would certainly have something with a native port or works flawlessly with Steam Play enabled to prove that the hardware is sufficiently powered and functioning. If it fails at this then it might be a genuine hardware issue, assuming the 4/8 pin CPU power plug is fully inserted as mentioned above. Even if Linux isn’t your thing, you can probably work through this much faster than waiting on hardware to be replaced without any confirmation as to what, if any, hardware failure exists.

It would be really nice if Windows and mobo manufacturers stopped their nonsense and just linked people directly to manufacturer drivers to avoid these unnecessary complications. Then again neither of those things are an issue if you want to keep exploring Linux after diagnosing your issue. I’ve been using my Ryzen 5 2400G on Lubuntu since their April 2019 release without issue. Good luck!

As stated already tried Win 10, Win 11 and Ubuntu latest, I did not mention how I tried them however but they were all via USB. Ubuntu failed to get past selection of boot menu on both rufus creation methods (can’t remember), I used recommended 1st and then 2nd option on a later attempt.

But yeah I’ve got a few devices +15 years old still running Ubuntu with no problems.

SOLUTION
New CPU arrived today, plugged in and all was fine.

2 Likes

Apologies, I take way too long writing my posts and need to do better about rechecking before finalizing my posts. I’m genuinely shocked it was the processor. Glad it all worked out!

I am glad you got your solution.
I was with the exact same problem, and got herer after googling it.
But I found the problem was with the power supply indeed, because after replacing it for another, the problem was solved.
So I came back here to post this message hopefully that it could help someone in the future.

Regards

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.