$50k of misery: Multiple Dead $2k Motherboards and $3k CPUs with no warranty and no help | Level One Techs

00 post code on the ROG Dominus Extreme? it's not you, it's a common defect on this board.

I think only the recent production run was affected, not all boards. but Level1 to the rescue.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://level1techs.com/video/50k-misery-multiple-dead-2k-motherboards-and-3k-cpus-no-warranty-and-no-help
6 Likes

On the Patreon edition you pointed out that the Intel CPUs don’t come with any warranty at all, which still amazes me that that’s even legal :joy:
Where I am manufacturers have a 2 year warranty by law, and if it breaks in the first 6 months it is just assumed that it’s a manufacturing defect, i.e. the manufacturer has to prove it was actually you who broke it.
Granted the CPU wasn’t at fault here, but still…

3 Likes

And here I am considering used Asrock X299 Taichi XEs for Cascade Lake-X because the new 12 core offering from AMD has too few PCIE lanes for my uses.

And trust me, a Decklink Quad HDMI with dual GPU passthrough on a 12 core with no iGPU NEEDS those PCI-E lanes.

Also, that music is very similar to the VancouFur 2015 promo video. (look it up, I won’t link it here. They did use the same theme.)

One of the afflicted actually got their CPU replaced! I was at computex where they demoed an early version of that cpu and got hands on. I was told by Intel reps later it was a doa warranty only.

Later they added it to their website. In one call recording Intel reps were incredulous the CPU was covered under the overclocker warranty

1 Like

That still sounds like weird warranty terms. Then again, AMD warranty also states that if you use a boxed CPU with a different fan, that is also technically voiding the warranty. But… a) I don’t think they’ll actually do that and b) it’s going to be indredibly hard for them to prove you used a different one :thinking:

The music is under CC License, so… what’s the deal?

Woah. You helped the Chicago board of trade? You sure are great at making friends.

1 Like

Rando that works there didn’t want his name said it was kay to day I helped lol . Don’t know if it was a pilot project or personal systems, but they had several systems. Their multi monitor setups are to be envied however.

Computer janitoring is a world wide profession.

2 Likes

What has happened to ASUS QA I mean damn on something so expensive for both them to make and us to buy

1 Like

Theme for the convention was the same as this video, film noir.

But the VancouFur promo was a commissioned custom composition, so it sounds a LOT better.

IMO he explained it better in the Patreon version.

TL;DR: There is no way QA can foresee something like this and test for it accordingly. Now that it happened once, they might include it in future tests, but regardless of the price tag I would agree that no manufacturer needs to forsee this. It was an unfortunate event, but considering they got it back and it worked, I don’t see anything wrong with that.

2 Likes

I’m just going to put this here…

Asus really… :woman_facepalming:

4 Likes

Moral of it: Don’t buy obscure one-off hardware! Go mainstream. If shit doesn’t work there, manufacturers have no choice but fixing it.

But I definitely know people with more money than they know what to do with.

How’s 2 55’’ 4K TVs, a Ultrastudio 4K, a ATEM Studio 4K, a 20x20 SDI switcher, a Micro Production camera, a NX5U, a subscription to iRacing, a Fiber 12G to SDI, 3 DAC-70 converters, a ROG Laptop with a 980M, a Acer touchscreen, a PoE Ethernet video switcher control, A RX100 V, A Apple Airport, a Ethernet switch, and 300’ of SDI cable sound…

…for a HOBBY. (no formal training, just a hobby)

I have no doubts there will be those Star Citizen or iRacing people that buy this and 2 TITAN RTXs.