5 Great (Modern) Games to Chase Away the AAA Blues | Level One Techs

Hello there, Level1 Community! Recently, we released a video chock full of great freeware games to check when you're looking to get away from the lootbox infested, designed-by-committee world of AAA video games. However, a lot of these games hew a little older, so for those of you looking for a more modern experience, here are 5 great recent games to play when you want to wash away the AAA blues.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://level1techs.com/article/5-great-modern-games-chase-away-aaa-blues
4 Likes

Access Denied… :frowning:

Half-Life 2

Loading…

Should be working fine now? Our editor wrote this article, this was his first time posting. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello, everyone! I hope you enjoy the article; this is my first time writing anything for the site! I hope to write about more gaming stuff in the future, so if you have any suggestions please give me a shout!

6 Likes

Working now

Pretty good selection of games there. There is one other modern game people could play to chase away the AAA Blues:

Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice

Fair warning this game is not for the faint of heart. The story is dark, the combat is intense, and it is a very pretty game [The image has a ReShade Preset I made applied to it]:

That is in game. Game takes about 8 hours and 30 minutes to play, comes with built in camera mode. I’d recommend for people who like games like: Dark Souls, Spec Ops The Line, and The Last of Us. I love it and plan on playing it again.

4 Likes

When you have to only pick 5 it’s difficult to leave out a lot of good games I think. A good selection though, some I haven’t played.

1 Like

Fresh off the presses, it’s Subnautica: (Unknown Worlds is still considered a somewhat Indie dev supported by funding from Microsoft)

Cat Quest is also great:

And these two you may have to have a little bit of tolerance for:

Getting over it with Bennett Foddy

and

The Stanley Parable

And finally, one to make you cry:

Dust: an Elysian Tail

I have to back up the decision to include Grim Dawn.

It’s what Diablo 3 should have been. I actually backed it on Kickstarter and was ridiculously happy with the result.

Also it has full ultrawide support, so it’s got that going for it, which is nice.

No carball, bad list. /s

Warframe though, that’s a great f2p game that everyone who doesn’t mind a bit of grinding should have.

1 Like

download

love the Legend of Legaia reference god i miss RPG games with similar mechanics and turn based rpgs ( my love for D&D is strong RPG= turn based )

Sunless Sea.

Great horror adventure game. Linux support.

2 Likes

NICE, I will check out Hollow Knight ASAP.

My first exposure to this rebooted genre was Salt and Sanctuary.

BAD
ASS
GAME

Hollow Knight looks to be in similar fashion. Thanks for the write up!

Hollow Knight, Shovel Knight, Black Mesa, Fractured space (Free), Bit Blaster XL (classic arcade but great fun!), Pit People, Golf With Friends (for late night Drunkery!), and something I like for time wasting but gets me on the edge of my seat: Planetary annihilation Titans (cheap on G2A). I jsut enjoy these more than 90% of games coming out these days :stuck_out_tongue:

This would be a great segue to great games you can play on linux instead of what you can’t.

I cant Play Nier because i have a thing for shapely legs and that looks like it would be far to distracting.
Someone make a pants mod for Nier please.

1 Like

The Shadow Warrior reboots are definitely in my list, both are really fun to play. I think i like the first one a little more than the second, i kind of prefer the linear aproach better than the pseudo-open world they tried to do with the second game.

1 Like