4U Rack Mount Case Question

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if you guys had some suggestions for a rack mount case that would be able to support 4 x GTX 1080s. I am building a GPU password cracking rig, and I want to make it rack mountable. Thank ahead of time for any suggestions, I really appreciate it.

check super micro chassis or norco from my last look they got some massive expansion chassis

SuperChassis 846XE1C-R1K23B

https://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/4U/846/SC846XE1C-R1K23B

this popped up from a quick look

Hydra III 8 GPU 4U Server Mining Rig Case

Or one of the rosewill 4u mining rig cases?

These would support 4x gtx 1080s and they are fairly cheap right now.

I have the rosewill 4000C and it is definately rack mountable.

Look at Kijiji/Craigslist/your local equivalent, and specifically look for 3u (also supports standard height PCIe slots) and 4u servers. Then, check out the motherboard shape, to see if it is using standard ATX/extended ATX (or if it supports it), as well as has a removable IO shield (or an IO shield that you can dremel out).

Then you may be required to buy a seperate 2u/3u/4u PSU (according to my research, they actually appear to be standards), or DIY a SFX to 3u PSU adapter (as I’ve done in the past).

Going this route will very, very likely be much cheaper then buying brand new, and get you a much higher quality chassis. I’ve done it in the past, and it wasn’t so bad.

Edit: Or buy this one for $260 CAD

I have two Rosewill 4U cases. They’re very cheep (about US$60) but I wouldn’t really recommend them. They’re pretty bare-bones, and the rails don’t actually hold them on the U marks, so in actuality a 4u server takes up 6Us of space because of the poor placement of the rack screws.

1 Like

Thanks for the info on that, I’ll be sure to stay away.

Rosewill L4000 or L4500 are great for that. Just watch the GPU height. Certain cards, like MSI’s Gaming X cards, can cause issues with shutting the lid

Weird off-shoot question… Anyone know of any cheaper rackmount GPU housing cases with good snap-in rails? Something like the Supermicros and other enterprise grade servers chassis’ have?

1 Like

norco is my second option after supermicro check em they got ok options

looks like their website is freaking out for me
https://norcotek.com/

ltt used alot of their stuff for their old server file storage and such

i like norco for ok rails and their short (15.8" depth) 4u chassis

1 Like

ya you’re not the only one

1 Like

Norco, Rosewill, and SuperMicro (if you feel like spending a bit extra) are all good cheap options

I use a norco rpc-432 4u for my threadripper build.
I also have a longer 20 bay norco for my NAS.

No complaints about the build quality. There will be no instructions whatsoever though for the various bits you get.

Also, some people report spotty quality control on the backplanes, having to get them replaced because a port doesn’t work or it dies. I haven’t personally had a problem, but this is one of the major differences between norco and supermicro for a lot of people.

3 Likes

I have a couple Rosewill 4U, and they are adequate for the price. Not great , just good.

As a follow up to my norco case, I’ve since had one of my backplanes go bad.

Also, back when I purchased the Norco, it had a clear price advantage over used supermicros.
That has since changed, currently you’d be crazy not to get a used 24 bay supermicro case off eBay for 370+shipping:

A year ago something like this would go for $600-700, but now the price is acceptable for a nice case and backplane. They are throwing in a spaceheater for free, but you don’t have to use that crap.

Nice to hear on the price.
I fancied a super micro, but the price was a bit steep, so i went for a knock-off rebranded Norco in the UK:

It looks to me like a Norco, but the rail holes are slightly higher from what I gather, and the overall build seems a little “thin”