4k144 support via dp1.4a with dsc1.2a on level1techs kvms?

got excited for the level1techs kvm, however now that i’m setting it up ran into a frustrating issue - 144hz. the specs page clearly says 4k120 over display port 1.4, but i have realized now that i’m trying to set it up my 4k144 monitors that require a slightly newer spec, display port 1.4a, which adds dsc1.2a, which enables the 4k144.

it looks like my monitors can support 4k120 if i go into the settings menu and set the display port mode to 1.4 from 1.4 DSC (which is odd as my understanding is 1.4 DSC 1.2 is required for 4k120). my monitors: LG-27gp950-B

while i am happy to make the 24hz sacrifice to get the wonders of kvm, i am curious what the plans are for updating the model to support dsc1.2a? as it looks like nearly everything high refresh in the pc monitor space expects 144, so the inability to handle it seems like a weird limitation and a gotcha that will get more people over time. while it’d be wonderful if this was a firmware update, i suspect it is much harder as the better compression probably requires more of the hardware.

anyone know where things are headed?

thanks!

1 Like

Actually bugs in LG firmware and nvidia drivers. You can find all kinds of complaints. Not the KVm per se. It’s a rock dumb simple device that just toggles between devices almost mechanically. That’s why gsync/freesync generally pass through without issue.
Also all your devices need to support dsc. Macs do not. LG doesn’t like switching dsc on and off constantly

4 Likes

interesting, thanks for the clarification on what the box is doing. what made me think it was the kvm not supporting dsc1.2a was that i did a lot of testing of various cables (club3d 1-2m)/monitors (all the same model, in case they had individual quirks) and had every attempt at least show image on the screen, though sometimes with artifacting/noise, and a 100% total black screen fail rate at 144hz. wasn’t even doing any switching, just leaving it there and propagating.

i think i saw elsewhere the black screen might be a failed hdcp handshake? but confusing to me why that’d show up always at 144 and never at 120.

i wonder if the gpu could be the problem somehow, using a gigabyte 3080 oc gaming, or if it really is just a problem with the monitors.

if anyone else has had luck at 4k144 i’d be interested to hear about it! unfortunately i’ve never seen much about input robustness of these things in reviews.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.