4k Monitor purchase

What is the best lb/$ 4K monitor to get right now? Don’t really game, just want the real estate? I just don’t want to feel like im suffering at home because my work is 4k.

L1T affiliate link is preferred.

What size?

If you don’t game would you be ok with HDMI?

38"+/-2". I want 4k@60hz, so display port would be required requirement?

Does anyone know any other online retailer other than ebay that carries wasabi mango’s

I was actually selling mine on Ebay right now. Not sure if it’s of interest to you. It’s 4K 60 Hz, but has that weird power plug from South Korea since that’s where the monitor was made. It’s a Crossover.

Not much of a gaming monitor with it’s 6ms but it’s decent for real estate. It’s also 32" big.

No. HDMI 2.0 and up will do 4K 60Hz. What you definitely want though, is a TV that displays 4x4x4 Chroma at preferably 60Hz. If not it will be useless for productivity as it will cause eye strain. I use 3x 50" 4K TVs right now, no issues. Great for productivity and ok for gaming.

You can use this site for ratings:

http://www.rtings.com/tv

2 Likes

I have a sneaking suspicion that my 40 inch 1080p (many years old at this point) is actually terrible for my eyes. Can’t wait to upgrade.

1 Like

I think there’s a pretty strong argument to be made for using 4K TVs instead of these Korean displays. Some of those panels have to be pretty nice, and they’re comparably affordable if not more so.

Their only real benefit is Freesync which not everyone would need or want. The new HDMI standard though is going to change that.

Well, I think the argument is one that’s financial as much as anything. These 4K TVs get overlooked, but you can get a 55" display for less than the Korean 40" 4K displays. It’s a give and take, but more people should consider it.

The lg 43 imo it’s not that daunting and you can feed other inputs in it an do more on one panel, bigger than you want but I own one and highly recommend it

Hence why I use 3x 50" 4K TVs and not Korean monitors. Also warranty, plus immediate return and replacement.

I’m sorry, I don’t know what that means @Raziel.

use 3x 50" 4K TVs right now, no issues. Great for productivity and ok for gaming

Which TV is that? I don’t want a smart TV.

Currently i’m eyeballing this Wasabi Mango, my price point right now is $500 USdolla. Am i way off?

I think my system is qualified, i have a r9 280, and I’m a Ubuntu Twit

Thanks for all your comments guys

1 Like

The r9 280 is really going to struggle to game at 4k, but then again you do get perfect scaling (so no blurriness\softness) running a 1080p game fullscreen so you can enjoy 4k realistate for desktop and movies while being no worse off in games.

Be warned, the warsarbi mango is a very cheap panel… it light bleeds a lot, will have some pixels that are stuck dark (they only RMA for more than 5 stuck white) and is otherwise a pretty low end experience. That said, it really is 4k60hz for cheap, but you certainly get what you pay for if you step up to a more mainstream brand as well.

If a TV is not connected to the internet, is it still smart? I use Vizio M50-D1, but there are better models now and cheaper. A L1 Tech affiliate link:

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-49S405-49-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B01MYGISTO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506963318&sr=8-1&keywords=TCL+49S405+49-Inch+4K+Ultra+HD

Read the review, also familiarize with which TVs are good for PC, rated by this site:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/s-series-4k-2017-s405

1 Like

Putting that code into LG.com/us I get a 21:9, not a 4k panel…

On that site though, LG only advertise 3 4k desktop monitors >27" and they are 2x 32" and a 43".
I’d rule out one of the 32" as its a VA panel, but either of the others would do, although the weakest feature for gaming being the response times, at 6ms (32") and 8ms (43") respectively… with the a note that neither has professional style color gammit if your one of the very few who need such a thing. Otherwise good brightness, contrast (especially the 32"), excellent viewing angle and reasonable connection options. Both have freesync and 100mm vesa mounts.

Don’t you guys get tired moving your head around for multiple 50" monitors, not to mention the space needed?

5k on 28", two or three monitors. Ideal resolution and size for productivity.

You obviously do not understand why, in the first place. Imagine 12 windows open, viewing all in 24" at the same time. Much easier than clicking through multiple tabs when each thing you do in one window effects another.

You don’t understand, because you don’t need…

1 Like

You have like a 120+ degree feild of view without moving your head, so if your getting a sore neck your monitors are either pretty much on your face or they are at the wrong height.

As for 5k on 28"… there is little point for most tasks. You won’t get more text or veiw more of a project (be it a photo, video or CAD) on screen due to such a high pixel density, it’d just be too small to see\read, you can’t really find much consumer content >4k to play back and running games at multiple 5k displays is graphically prohibitive. Thus you may as well have a larger monitor, its displaying all the same detail, but doing so large enough its quick\easy\low eyestrain to see. Nothing beats working on a video where you can tell scenes apart on the timeline without scrubbing through it, you can see all of the settings of the thing your currently tweaking without scrolling up and down madly and you have a live playback window as big as a normal 24" monitor without moving or full screening it. That effects productivity a lot, but having twice the pixels (8k) on that same 50" monitor would likely only benefit the few things where maximum detail is needed in the playback window.

1 Like

Where is the main retailer for them? This guy is a third party so now i’m even more wary.

@wendell, sorry to bother, do you have a link to buy a wasabi mango. I want to pull the trigger, asap. affiliate link prefered. Ship to Canada.