4k bluray drives are out - unusable for most people save for Kabylake

Can't you just grab the decoded signal at the screens end? or do they expect us to buy 4k drm monitors also?

the point was that the monitors don't decrypt the data.

The player does this on the fly and the content is prevented from being captured from a separate capture card /method due to HDCP.

What about on the Linux front? Any support for playing these disks their?

No Win10
No Kabylake
F off Pioneer!

Seriously, locking out 95% of pc users sounds like a bad idea to me. Sounds like it will not see any adoption in the PC space as dedicated players are less hassle.

(I am aware pionoeer is just the pioneer in desktop 4k bluray drives, but nobody forced them)

No, that's the whole point of HDCP.

Chances are you already have one if it supports HDCP.

I am very curious whether we can do this with the 4K Blurays. Taking into account that you already have 4K Bluray optical drive and Makemkv program.

To be fair I don't think it is Pioneer's fault. I imagine it is whatever organization sets the standard wanted ridiculous copy protection methods past HDCP (which already is a huge hassle for people when they need to do a firmware update to watch a new disk).

They just could have said "Well, good luck with 4k blurays and pcs", but they choose to build and sell these things.

Assuming you're going to use a PC to do it. Theres also the chromecast ultra. Plus I'm sure 4k smart "devices" will see updates to their "netflix app".

Well change the kaby lake to haswell and you describe my setup.

You can strip HDCP pretty easily with some HDMI splitters, though none of the known splitters this works with are 4k capable. In some cases a splitter could be used to connect to an HDCP compliant device and then to a capture card. I think people are already doing this though its not well documented how they are managing it, and for good reason.

well yeah, I've heard of that, not exactly how they are supposed to work :smiley: But then again those are also older HDCP standards, so yeah... idk. Eventually 2.2(?) will be cracked too anyway...

However on many pirate sites you can already find 4K Bluray movies. And they are not web-rips because of their massive size. I wonder how they got their hands on it.

MKV Remux doesn't need to crack HDCP afaik. I wouldn't know, never tried it (don't own a BD Drive). But as far as I know you can open the m2ts files and remux the video and audio.

/edit
http://www.makemkv.com/aboutmkv/ @moderators not sure if this link is OK (but as far as I know that software is indeed legal), so if it's not please remove :slight_smile:

What are the better splitters, I have some things that are copy protected recorded with my Windows DVR that I would like to strip commercials from.

Yeah, I'm sure someone has figured something out for it already but again, theres not much info about how.

Theres nothing to crack. These devices report correct keys because they have been imbued with legitimate HDCP hardware. I think the ICs are probably sold for other purposes like for home receivers or TVs and then actually used in the splitters. Not exactly legal but its china, they dont give a fuck.

Technically speaking it goes against forum rules for me to really keep talking about this anyway. Its kinda off topic and illegal. You now know what to google and I can tell you that with a little reading of the review sections youll find something.

Hm ok... didn't know how they worked anyway since I never really cared for it as long as it worked... PS4 reads my Blurays so everything's fine on my end :slight_smile:

Its illegal to talk about good hdmi splitters?

Not about normal splitters, but splitters that circumvent the copy protection...

And normal splitters, really, there's no difference in them... Takes a signal, duplicates it to two outputs, it's not magic...

wendell even used some in the epiphan 4k video (I think).

The splitter isn't illegal or else they wouldn't be able to sell it, if someone were to hook a capture device to it them that might be depending on location and material.

Of course splitters that are carrying the HDCP to both ends aren't illegal. He was talking about splitters that specifically don't do this. And as he already mentioned, this is China, they don't care... If the backalley shop gets sued they just open a new one.

That's the one wendell had showed in the Epiphan 4k video:

When LG ships less than a quarter mil of those, they'll have no one to blame but themselves