4k bluray drives are out - unusable for most people save for Kabylake

4k Bluray drives are here, but you need a Kabylake or newer processor for certain instruction sets, an integrated video processor (Intel extreme processors are SOL), and specifically HDMI 2.0 which suggests that display port isn't supported.

It would be great if we could hear commentary from people on the limitations for 4k bluray here. How artificial are these limitations (i.e. piracy controls shutting out legitimate customers only to be breached in a month)? @wendell @ryan it might warrant a video

Apparently you need a kabylake or newer processor for the proper instructions sets to view 4k blurays. This seems to be anti piracy features, and am curious if there is a possibility to get around this requirement. You also need the onboard graphics chip to do some of the processing which sounds even more ridiculous. Why can't the discrete card do this? Any ideas? Is this just another step for worthless anti-piracy?

It also says you need HDCP 2.2 compliance. Not sure which video cards support this. Also it says you need HDMI 2.0, saying nothing about displayport. Is displayport not covered under HDCP?

Essentially I just bought a shiny new 6800k, and despite having waited two years for these players to come out, I can't even use one which is absolutely ridiculous. Truth is the majority of PC users won't be able to use them. What is even the overall adoption of Kabylake so far? A few percentage points?

4 Likes

I'm also curious just how strong this type of copy protection is, denuvo was touted as unbreakable but look at where it is now, will hardware based be different?

As long as it is decoded somewhere along the line it will be intercepted.

Unbreakable protection is a myth. Valuts and safes are rated in the time it would take an expert to break in (cracking code, drilling, etc). It is only a matter of time for copy protection to be cracked, therefore it only serves to alienate the legitimate market with barriers to obtain the content.

Honestly I will look for a crack then BUY a drive and BUY the disks. I am also in Canada and a court is likely to scold anyone bringing up a case against me and would throw it out probably despite it being a breach of the law. If no crack turns up, they are out the money.

1 Like

normal blurays are already pain in the ass to use . . . as they require propriety software, and code on the bluray cipher validates gpu drivers... if you have newer it won't work in most cases.

For any kind of bluray its better to have bluray player itself... rather than having to deal with their shit.

Seems like one of those things that should work itself out. They created the barrier to entry and will likely suffer through slow adoption rates.

but PC users are probably an insignificant user base, things like 4k HDR and 4K netflix being locked to newer hardware will increase sales of newer devices like 4k bluray players and smart tvs to people who want the latest and greatest experience.

1 Like

I would argue that they are artificially an insignificant base. Enthusiasts probably have more 4k displays than home theatre people.

At least with DSR any PC user with a discrete video card can make use of a 4k Bluray.

1 Like

Boy I feel like there was a thread about this before and it ended up spiraling into a shitpost. maybe it's just dejavu.

Well I did a search here, but nothing came up at all.

I don't watch blurays with a player, I rip them, remove the DRM, then keep the digital file on my file server or burn it onto a blank disk. I still don't think I would be affected as this only affects playback.

1 Like

that is how most user get around these things, but storage will have to become much cheaper if anyone wants to store 4k HDR, not that the content is there for it now but 4k is here to stay unlike 3D.

@Lord_Tao I agree with you that there are more early adopters that are pc enthusiasts there are way more people with living room tvs willing to pay. The numbers of PS4's Xbones and what ever nintendo is churning out don't lie.Iin the grand scheme of things we are insignificant and we'll pay a bunch of money for the next great thing too.

and they are coming out with 10 TiB helium drives >:]

I think we'll be fine.

here's an interesting article about said drives.

Just need the DRM to be broken so i can digitize this media. F using the player on your computer just rip and play how you want. I would love to purchase digital copies if they offered full uncompressed versions without DRM but good luck at that ever happening.

1 Like

http://www.makemkv.com/

1 Like

I already rip my blurays but 4k will be some time before they crack it.

yeah, I'm thinking about actually paying for makemkv to help speed of the process.

Ain't Netflix gonna support 4k HDR streaming content soon?

they do.

and yes you need kaby lake and windows 10 with edge to view it.

that is quickly making their 4k option die a quick death.

1 Like

How many people that have 4k hdr tvs, netflix and a kaby lake computer hooked up to it.