4k at 60hz with Intel HD 530 Graphics

I am attempting to get my Vizio p55-f1 tv to display my computer in 4k at 60hz, but I am only getting 30hz as an option. I am using a 6ft DisplayPort male to HDMI male cable that says it is rated for 4k. I have an ASUS Z170 motherboard. I have selected UHD on the inputs on the TV.

According to all the specifications, this should be able to run 4k at 60hz just fine.

Thanks

i am having trouble finding which HDMI port is rated for what input. The only thing I have found for sure is:

HDMI Port 5 supports a 4k @ 60 Hz input, but only at 4:2:0. It does not support 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 because it does not have the necessary bandwidth. It also doesn’t support HDR.

From: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/p-series-2018

I don’t know about the other ports. I tried scanninf through the manual but it is short on specifics that i could see.

Manual: https://cdn.vizio.com/user-manual/PDF/2018/TV/P-Series_UM_ENG.pdf

Additionally I have had issues with my Intel Iris Pro 580 iGPU reliable pushing 4K at all, with random drop outs. I have also seen this happen as a result of the cable used and interference around the cables.

Is the DP to HDMI cable you are using Active or Passive?

Have you tried a shorter cable?

First recomendation:

1. update your tvs firmware
  2. if possible try first with a gpu with hdmi that you know that supports 4k at 60hz, before trying with the adapter
  3. some DisplayPort->hdmi have limitations, some do not support 60hz or chroma 4:4:4, check yours do
  4. check aditional info here: https://forum.level1techs.com/t/why-cant-intel-530-graphics-run-4k-60hz/

Notes from my experience

• on my samsung tv, the 4kz at 60hz and chroma 4:4:4 on first hdmi with uhd option active
  • some tv required to disabled game mode or select a specific profile on the selected hdmi port
  • Club3D adapter DP- HDMI adapter supports 4k at 60hz at chroma 4:4:4
  • if you using linux you might need run extra commands like mentioned here: Why can't Intel 530 Graphics run 4K @ 60Hz?

the full mainboard name plz?

edit: there is no z170 board with DP 1.3 i could find that mean it should be 1.2.
while DP 1.2 can do UHD 60 HZ RGB it can’t do UHD 60 HZ HDMI 2.0 that was added with DP 1.3.
this means an active cable may work and an passive cable shouldn’t work.

the connector 1-4 on your TV can do 60 HZ HDMI 4:4:4 the settings from the TV are more about to stop it from subsampling not to get the signal in.

I have an ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming board from 2016.

I can’t tell if this cable is active or passive.

this is a passive cable.

this is an active cable they are really expensive:

there is a small “PC” in the cable that translates the signal some may even need power from USB.

think about a used GPU. depending on what you want to do it could be the better choice.

If I get a gpu that outputs both DisplayPort 1.4 and HDMI 2.0b, will I need a different cable or will this one work?

with the listed description it is limited to 3 Gbps HDMI signal which is HDMI 1.4.

but the cable is able to do DP 1.2 4 lanes which is sadly not a crystal clear spec if the 4 lanes are the max spec it will work. a passive cable doesn’t know what all these 1 and 0 are and doesn’t care. if the cable is HBR2 or better it is able to do UHD 60 HZ RGB.

it may work. it may not work. UHD 60 4:2:0 is 3 Gbps but it’s not written on the cable and they couldn’t this didn’t exists back in the DP 1.2 days.

What is “really expensive”? It shows up as ~$33 for me which is a lot for a cable/adaptor but not spectacularly so.

Can you get a HDMI 2.0b GPU for less? I have not looked.

for a cable that’s ridiculous but no i have no clue about the used market.
he needs an additional HDMI 2.0 (was the name high speed?) cable (the GPU will need it too).
paying like ~38 for a calbe is quite something.
the slowest HDMI 2.0 card i know is a very rare 750 not sure if it was TI which was actually maxwell.
no clue about the used market for 950 or rx 460/550.

with the cable you just get the cable…
with a used GPU you get more GPU power HDCP 2.2 and other stuff.
that’s why i was careful:

depending on what you want to do it could be the better choice.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.