4870 = worthy upgrade over 8800 gt?

Really I'd save my money and get a GTX300 or ATi 5870 when they come out. If you HAVE to upgrade I'd get a 4770 for now and save your money for a 5870 or whatever card is best next gen. Thats what I'm doing myself. I have a 8800GTS 320mb and I was going to get a 4890 but after thinking about it I'm going to get a 4770 and use that until the new cards come out.

if you have a nvidia chipset you are gonna have issues with a ati radeon graphics card depending on your motherboard

+1 for 4770 its like $100 so you could sell you 8800gt for almost that so it would be almost be a free upgrade. If not upgrade when you need to.

Actually, it won't matter at all. If it's one graphics card, the graphics card and northbridge won't interact at all, and the appropriate install of drivers will get it going. If he would attempt to crossfire on an nvidia board or SLI on an intel/cfire board, then he'd run into problems. I'm using a 9800 GTX+ on a Gigabute EP45-DS3R, an intel chipset motherboard that is only crossfire compatible. I've had 0 issues.

Anything is better than an 8 series.

My advice: Don't buy a graphic card this season. Wait til Q4 or next year for a graphic card purchase. There's no games coming out this year that's really worth an upgrade.

i concurrr!! i have XFX 9600GT and i've been aching for an upgrade but i'll do wot rice said! the smart thing to do.......

The 9 series is basically a completely rebranded 8 series.. lol Anyway, just sit back and keep saving up. You might end up being able to afford one of the high end GTX300 cards later this year.

I would just wait for the new series to come out.

this is months old people....

-July 30th.
Good grief! that's almost a year old and last I checked he got a 4890 and an X3 720.
Old thread is [color=#800000]DEAD.[/color]

All of the old threads on the old RTW got ported here; everything is jumbled up. Give it a few weeks' worth of posts to correct things.

-EDIT-

Locked by Rice. Hopefully, another thread similar to this one shows up to replace it.

We'll just close this thread so it stops getting bumped then.