45HomeLab HL15 vs TrueNAS Mini R

Thanks for the info. :slight_smile:

You’re definitely right about the PCIe switch cards being more expensive. Here’s one that would work … for almost $180.

Sabrent EC-P3X4: 4-Drive M.2 NVMe SSD to PCIe 3.0 x4 Adapter Card - Sabrent

⦁ Add up to four NVMe SSDs using only one PCIe slot.
⦁ Designed for use with M.2 2280 form factor SSDs.
⦁ Compatible with PCIe 3.0 motherboards and backward compatible with PCIe 2.0 / 1.0.
⦁ Aluminum construction for maximum heat dissipation and optimal performance.
⦁ Ample support for legacy motherboards.
⦁ Fits in PCIe x4, x8, or x16 slots, but not PCIe x1 slots.
⦁ Compliant with sleep states S3 and S4.
⦁ Active State Power Management (ASPM) protocol capable of L0s / L1 / L23 / L3 power states.
⦁ L1 sub-states added to the PCIe specification to reach SSD power consumption goals and minimize latency.
⦁ Latency Tolerance Reporting (LTR) enables lower power and longer exit latency power states.
⦁ Advanced Error Reporting (AER) capability for a more robust PCI Express implementation.
⦁ Separate Reference Clock with Independent Spread (SRIS) architecture on both upstream and downstream ports.
⦁ PCIe maximum payload size is 512 bytes.

Any idea what a PCIe maximum payload size is and how it interacts with logical sector sizes?

It’s analogous to the packet size of more pedestrian networks (tcp/ip).
The only time I’ve ever seen people having to tweak PCIe payload sizes was when they were tuning some RDMA workloads, I’ve never seen it affect performance negatively in any other scenario so I’ve never had reason to play with it.
No meaningful normal interaction with disk logical sector size; I’d assume having the PCIe max payload size and the logical sector size the same would yield maximum performance but I think PCIe bus switching latencies are so small compared to NAND latencies it doesn’t actually matter in the real world one bit.

And the worse part is that most of the pcie switch based cards on the market are PCIe 3.0 and are still expensive.

@Altkey ,

Hello! I’m curious if you made a final purchasing decision yet. I decided to build a temporary NAS out of an old Dell Optiplex so I could start learning TrueNAS. It works, but it’s … so kludge, since I decided to try to push the limits of the hardware so I could go ahead and retire my existing 2-bay NAS.

I’m still leaning towards the Mini R for power efficiency, even if noise is worse. As much as I love the HL-15, as someone who just wants to buy something and have it pop out of the box and just work, I’m not sure I’m ready to take the plunge on the first gen prebuilt model.

1 Like

I ended up going with the Mini R. The user experience has been great so far, but I haven’t had a chance to measure power usage or loudness. Switching over to it and turning off the old server has turned into a bigger project than I initially anticipated.

1 Like

Congratulations on making a decision. That’s often the hardest part, in my experience. :slight_smile:

Hope the changeover goes well. I’ll definitely be interested if you want to post more about your experiences at some point.

1 Like