45 watt rms passive subwoofer being out performed by 22 watt subwoofer from 2.1 sound system

So I have a sharp-xl-mp60 it was only 44 bucks on ebay and it had the wattage I needed to really give my speakers some more power since my 20 watt receiver was dying. Plus I was using a 2.1 sound system and stereo speakers with my computer both running through different 3.5mm jacks in my p.c. I had hoped this would make it so I can use 1 system with my computer and leave the 2.1 sound system in the gym. But sadly while my speakers sound great with the sharper image stereo the sub that comes with it has a tiny sound to the point I am still forced to use my other 2.1 sound system to get better bass. I mean my normal speakers are getting really good bass but i just love having lots off bass.Would getting a more powerful passive sub solve this I tested the sub in some different equipment and the problem is its sound is just tiny at lower volumes.

The 45 watt sub is also smaller all around 5 inches around compared to 6+ inches in the 22 watt sub .

Wattage doesn't really mean much outside of PA systems, efficiency is a much better representation of how much sound you should expect to get from a speaker. Unfortunately most cheaper speakers don't list efficiency in their specs and the ones that do don't explain how it was measured (in a reflectionless room, a 'normal' room, or a closet, etc.) so it can still be a bit of a crap shoot.

I'd look at getting a powered sub or trying to find a more efficient passive one.

1 Like

Well an amplifier with quality low-pass & high-pass filters is gonna make the most noticable difference, not the subwoofer itself per se.

Thanks for the help. Just going to get a better passive sub since their so cheap most likely. Not sure though currently the problem where the sub outperformed my speakers is gone with the new stereo. The Samsung speakers I have can now go loud enough to where the sub in the 2.1 system enhances the sound to the point they sound as one. The problem with the 2.1 speakers where that the satellites here utter shit but the sub was a bass cannon. So I got some Samsung speakers but the sub was still to louder than the speakers till now.

Haven't tested at max volume though. I think at max volume the Speakers will outperform the sub.