42 Inch 4K FreeSync for the Masses: Wasabi Mango UHD420 | Tek Syndicate

Wasabi Mango UHD420 on Ebay

Finally! An affordable FreeSync 4k monitor that doesn't require display scaling (because the monitor is so large!) Make full use of the 4k worth of screen real estate.

This is the very awesome Wasabi Mango UHD40 from South Korea. This display features a 42 inch AH-IPS (BGR pixel order) Panel from LG along with a K-4500 scaler/controller: http://www.kangjintech.net/main/k-4500/

With our display, FreeSync worked out of the box (no need to USB update the firmware) and the Remote seemed to have 3d functions (though we could not verify that worked). This may be an updated version of the K-4500 controller because other teardowns have dual IC setups on the controller board, while ours only has a single IC.

Since 3D support is coming, maybe, we tried 1080p @ 120Hz by defining a custom profile and we were surprised when it works.

A word of warning, however. The response time on this panel is slow, like first generation IPS panels. It is not as bad as the Samsung U28D590D but it is not as good as "modern" 1440p LG IPS panels we've seen from Korea recently.

This monitor comes with two sturdy metal feet, and VESA 200x200mm mounts. We were able to get 4:4:4 chroma, 10 bit color and HDMI 2.0 to work flawlessly.

Unfortunately, there is no "de-glassing" this one. The polarizer and front cover is a sturdy lexan type plastic and it is fused. It is not possible to remove the glass to get something less glossy, but the glare is not nearly as bad as the with-glass A399U. There is also some edge distortion on this display if you sit close to it. At 24-36 inches away, looking straight on, there was no perceptible edge distortion. Closer than that and there is similar edge shadowing as we have seen on the A399 but the effect is about 1/3 to 1/2 of what can be seen in the worst-case-scenario on the A399. All in all, that is barely worth mentioning.

Music: http://bit.ly/Trk2ik, Merch: http://epicpants.com Game Deals: https://teksyndicate.com/gamedeals

Join the community: https://teksyndicate.com/user/register You can create a new account or join using your google, steam, facebook, openID, twitter, linkedin, yahoo, etc.

If you have questions, comments, suggestions, or if would like to use a portion of this video please email us: [email protected]

For marketing (sponsorship opportunities) inquiries email [email protected]

Social: Twitter: https://twitter.com/teksyndicate Logan's Twitter: https://twitter.com/Logan_RTW Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/teksyndicate

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://teksyndicate.com/videos/42-inch-4k-freesync-masses-wasabi-mango-uhd420
7 Likes

Looks a great value, really good review thanks.

P.s. I did get a bit worried when you peeked over the monitor at the beginning, the next thing I noticed were your clothes in the screen reflection.
Naked review flashed across my mind!!! Lol 😀

Still waiting on 4K OLED free/gsync, preferably 120hz 4K maybe. Probably gonna be a while, I know... :(
Reasonably priced (and sized) 4K OLED is the main thing I'm waiting for, but freesync with it would be really nice.

It would suck with either technology. It would have to be a steady 120hz so you wouldn't notice the judder as much. OLED has frame retention built in and that is one thing that will drive people crazy if you used it now. You add in bullshit like gsync/freesync on top of that when the refresh rate goes to 60 which it will you will regret wasting the extra money on it because an OLED running at 30 fps looks like shit.

so which do you prefer.. this or the a399u?

Excellent review, thanks!

My question: will the Freesync capability work if you are using it at 1080p 120 Hz, and if so, what would the variable refresh range be? I've been following the overclock.net and hardforums threads, and can't seem to find an answer to this one. Freesync on 4K 60 Hz--enabled for free in a firmware update, no less--is already awesome enough, but being able to use it at 1080p 120 Hz would just be another giant plus for this monitor.

with the OC the freesync option seems to go away. 42-60hz seems to be the freesync range, though I could only confirm normal freesync operation from 45-60fps at both 1080p and 4k. The a399 is "fine" and a bit cheaper, but for gaming and "production" work the colors here are better. Except blacks are much better on the a399. The glow on this is no worse than typical IPS panels. I do wish the IPS response time was as fast as it is on the LG AH IPS 1440p panels, though. From the "photo next to the CRT" testing method, its not terrible but I wish it were better.

Call me crazy, but I am going for my third A399U..............:-) still a darn good deal !
always from Drean_seller

I'm curios. I found what looks to be the T-con for that monitor HERE. I'm not really good with monitor components and I've only done a quick search but I think you can find the T-con for the LG panel that actually supports 3D.

Out of curiosity, let's say DP1.3 controllers from Kangjintech are released to the market in the near future that support 4k@120Hz. Can I frankenstein one in instead of the K-4500 & enjoy this new feature on my monitor (given that I also have a DP1.3 GPU)? Also are there any other 4K scalers that support FreeSync which would be compatible with this panel but also have a reduced input latency?

Many thanks for the information! Any way you slice it, still a great deal. green sum on ebay had a sale and so-called perfect pixel models of these were going for USD 670 until a few days ago, but I think they're back up to around 700+ again.

I'm very glad to see the direction these Korean monitors are going for. Though I won't be going for this one, I'm happy to see them push the envelope on the specs.
Give it the darks of the A399U, the potentially removable glass of the A399U, lower refresh rate, higher Hz native support and the 39.5' size of the A399U (because come on, that's already huge for a desk monitor, plus it would already be hard to maneuver with an arm) and we would reach the total nut busting singularity!
I appreciate a lot your coverage of this type of hardware from this kind of source. I am in the market for a monitor which will accommodate the upcoming Radeon bi-GPU. Keep it up!

Aw common @ManaNeko , that doesn't takeup my entire vision, I saw a review of someone who brought the 49in version for his desk. Which is sad because most people have TVs smaller than that, after ending up with a TV temporarily on my desk, and having previously thought stretching the resolution over such a big screen is stupid, 28' just doesn't seem big enough. Bigger simply is better, it doesn't really matter how you use it, its just better.

I also thought 16:9 was a stupid peasant resolution, and had no place outside of the living room, but over 28inches it isn't that bad. Now I want to dabble in 2.4:1 because girth also matters, and y'know I don't think our vision is 16:9. But they don't make those monitors, at least not big! So yeah 16:9 such peasant resolution :P.

Now we just need better window snapping, and snapping zone support, I think that these larger monitors can go a long way towards repacing the multi-monitor configurations, if you have a 42' 16:9 UHD Monitor, we are looking at a screen that has roughly the same physical and resoloution based screen size, as three 24inch 16:10 1920x1200 monitors in portrait mode, and very similar pixel density. That is quiet a lot of screen relestate, if you have the software support to utilize it like both 3 vertical monitors or a single monitor. You could even utilie it like 1 vertical monitor, and what is almost one 4:3 monitor.

Well, I'm talking with my own interests in mind. I don't even have something I call a living room. I have a wall with a simple desk in front of it and behind it there's a couch. Plus, I really don't like the 21:9 format, I think it's a waste of vertical space and is still mostly considered non-standard by manufacturers.
I was considering the 3 screen option until I saw the A399U, but the bezels on the sides of the screen are too much of a problem. They're never fine enough and Aero snap is a bitch.

So Does it have SRGB mode and what percentage it is?

Very interested in this monitor!
If it's at least as fast as my current Dell U2713HM, then I'm probably buying one soon.

It is slightly slower than the Dell U2713HM! I still have some of those. And they are solid panels. The rise time (how long it takes the image to appear) is comparable, but the "fall time" (how long it takes the image to disappear) is considerably slower. Its fine for productivity and the like, however.

I agree, I'm on the hunt for software that will allow me to use my A399U like a triple monitor. So far the closest I've gotten is the free Eizo ScreenSlicer BUT some programs don't work well (LINE and Foxit PDF Reader, for example) and it loses placement every time I hibernate/suspend. Probably just needs a simple update but they haven't touched it in years!

What's the bezel problem?

I don't like thick bezels on multi-screen setups. Looking for monitors with thin bezels narrows the market way too much.

Perfect size. well 43" and curved maybe .. but this will do :)

Im thinking, as a mix between a desktop monitor and TV it will be great for a dual boot of Linux/Win + SteamOS with the new controller. I would just need a small wireless keyboard and a lazy boy chair and my hybrid living room PC experience is complete.

Then again ... 48" with still 24"1080p PPI only at twice the distance, that might be the ultimate, I would no longer require a desk and that would finally make my transition from desk hunch back to couch sloth complete