40"/43" UHD 4K Monitor of the week?

There used to be very few options and korea was the source.
It seems like there are quite a few 40", 43", 49" 4:4:4 monitors on the market these days.

40" seems like the nicest DPI for 100% on a desktop still.
I know we are SOL for displayport unless we go with the philips or the AOC but
I’m cheap and I don’t play games very much so hdmi 2 at 60 hertz is fine for me.

On to the questions… What the best cheap monitor in the 40" size? 43" is an alternative and I am looking at the tcl 43S405 but a relatively low input lag 40" 4:4:4 display would be nicer. Is there a website the tracks these, these days?

Thanks,
T

I’m extremely happy with my LG 43ud79t (not the 43ud79t-b). I can highly recommend it.
Once you experience the screen real estate you’ll never want to back to a smaller display.
Also the sound of this monitor is quite good.

The only difference seems to be the stand, right? I have the other one and the display isn’t bad at all. I use it as a TV replacement for HTPC and PS4.

On the desk I think 40+" is a bit much, 32" seems to be my personal sweetspot. I just got the 32UD99 and can recommend it as a general purpose and semi-professional display. Editing photos is so much fun on this.

Anyway, my main point: @tiramisu Before you buy, sit down in front of it and try the size.

1 Like

I already have 2 28" and a 24 on the desktop. The scaling on the 32" for productivity doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.

3840x2160 x 49" = 88.91 dpi
3840x2160 x 43" = 102.46
3840x2160 x 40" = 110.15
1920x1080 x 24" = 91.79

On my desk at the distance I prefer to read text it would seem to me that I want to maintain the dpi and increase the working area.

thanks,
t

Curious about this as well, I have the B, its been good, and the built in speakers are good.

I quite like my 43 inch 4K. I wouldn’t worry about DPI too much since even at 43’ text seems way too small at 100% scaling so I keep mine at 150%.

1 Like

What made you go with the monitor rather than a TV?

For me it was 4:4:4 chroma, IPS, lower latency and it’s dumbness. You effectively can’t get TVs anymore that aren’t “smart”.

1 Like

Latency and color accuracy. I’ve got only 5ms latency on this monitor and the monitor also doesn’t do any post processing that can mess with text on the screen, making it hard to read anything up close. This monitor also comes with a remote so I can do everything that a TV can anyway. I have more inputs and ports on this monitor than a TV and this monitor is cheaper than a comparatively good TV.

TV’s suck with computers.

I’m not really concerned with colour accuracy and the TV’s come in around 20ms with the features turned off. Display Port is nice. You are right about the price though. Not cheaper but comparable to the TCL 49S405 with displayport.

I’m actually thinking I will prefer VA over IPS for text and blacks. IPS seems like a nice thing for gaming but less so for text/productivity. Back light bleed seems really unpleasant for text work.

Have you used a TV with 20ms input lag? 20 feels like your dragging your mouse through mud compared to 5. It definitely will get old and frustrating when you have to wait for your mouse to be in the position you want.

Even if you don’t plan on gaming, IPS is useful for productivity since it means you don’t have to have your head in this ‘Goldilocks Zone’ while you work and when we’re talking about sitting 2 feet away from a monitor at 50’ the corners will probably be a different color to the middle of the screen.

Back light bleed is only prevalent as a defect of the panel, it’s not a feature of IPS. Back light bleed can also occur with VA panels. You can also adjust the color profile if you want, lessening the blue light to reduce stress on your eyes.

Well samsung has stepped into the TV market now with freesync / HDR10 / and even higher refresh rates for 1080p gaming. It only on there top end 55" up displays that cost a fortune.

Im holding out for the trickle down and a 43" as well. I been using a 43" HD TV for years. I have a portrait display beside it with more like the DPI a 4K 43" TV / Display would have. Would be really nice.

The main points for good text are resolution and viewing angles. let’s take resolution out of that because it has nothing to do with the tech.

Viewing angles from worse to best: TN - VA - IPS - OLED

Backlight bleed is bad for everything. Since everything but OLED has a backlight, they all can have bleeding issues.

Moral of the story: You can find bad monitors with any technology.

Contrast ratios seem to go 1000:1 - 2000:1 - 1000:1 - 1000:1
Although, my TN at least sags around 900 after slight calibration

But this thing is only 4k VA with freesync what I could find, seems to state 3000:1 for that contrast ratio

OLED contrast is basically unlimited since a black pixel emits zero light.

The stupid expensive TV I read up on a while back was. Remember $4099AU

You can follow the support to the e-manual with more specs. With a pure black background even 1440p might look good. Still than price and zero reviews.