3D printing, entry level prints and ideas

Finally got some filament in the mail. Tomorrow we will see how the first prints of PLA do

I got a weird one for you ā€“ assuming firearms are another hobby of yours.

My roomie printed a forward grip for a rifle a couple months ago. Parts like that are a really good way to test the quality of the print, structural integrity, and durability of both the models and filaments. For obvious reasons, this is where I add a disclaimer to follow your local regulations. Where Iā€™m from, 3D printed gun parts are a-okay (mostlyā€¦). I suggest this because the price of relevant parts and kits are jumping up and down as of late. It can be a good way to get a custom grip or stock that would be pricey otherwise.

Alternatively, you could go for more daily practical things that occasionally itch your brain but you never quite got around to buying a solution off Amazon.

You could make a cup/mug coaster with the logo of your favorite franchise/faction/character on it. Just pour a little epoxy on it and let it dry so the surface is flat. Presto, you have a shiny fan art coaster (might need to paint the logo before applying the epoxy depending on the color of filament.

Something Iā€™ve been meaning to make are flat inserts with pull tabs for my carā€™s cup holders because they are DEEP and swallow a, say, full sized coffee from McDonaldā€™s whole.

Thereā€™s a bunch of other stuff iā€™ve been meaning to make, but canā€™t think of them now. Anyway, these are all simple to design in whatever 3D software youā€™re using and are pretty simple prints, so should aid in learning and troubleshooting. They are all fairly dense so be prepared to use a lot of filament for their size though.

I like those ideas, all of them. I have also considered through testing the quality of prints and learning a few other things, that I could use this to eventually develop a CNC machine.

The quality of prints would likely need to improve as time goes on, but I would also need to find more space to have something like that set up somewhat permanently.