3D printer

@The_Riddick Ya but I never move my laser printer... not sure I would move a 3d printer either. I would think you would have to re-calibrate after moving, and I am sure that is a fun task.

Only thing you might need to recalibrate is bed levelling. Sometimes belts need tightening.

ever bought a CPU? :stuck_out_tongue:

I've got another vote for the prusa i3 here. It gives a large bang for the buck and is easy to modify and upgrade using an open design. It also hits well above its price class for print quality and the self leveling bed makes things easier for a beginner.

I bought the Tevo Tarantula, 200mm X 200mm X 200mm, heated bed, $200. Its got a decent size community around it.

https://www.3dprintersbay.com/tevo-slimbot-dual-head-large-bed-auto-leveling-3d-printer-diy-kit

Its not bad and can produce some fantastic results if you do a few upgrades and put some time into figuring it out.

I have since upgraded mine by printing parts for it but I dont have a current picture with all the upgrades. Check out thingiverse and just type in tevo tarantula to see what kind of upgrades you can do. If you have an inclination for putting together kits and patience you'll find this kit pretty is fairly decent for what it costs.

This was/is my first printer and though my results havent been amazing with it yet I feel like I've learned so much more along the way with this than I would have if I bought one that was RTR.

@Adubs I saw that one last night, when looking, and then I found this one

it's a few more bucks but looks pretty solid. It seems similar to the cr-10

That one is probably pretty good too. Being that this was my first printer I was mostly looking for the cheapest I could get good results with. Bed size didnt matter much to me and still doesnt. 200mm is just over 7" IIRC and I have yet to find anything I want to print thats bigger that what my bed is.

If you do decide to go for a Tevo printer, go through 3dprintersbay. They have roughly the same price as places like aliexpress but they also accept paypal. They ship from the US if they have it in stock too.

https://www.3dprintersbay.com/tevo-black-widow-large-openbuild-aluminium-extrusion-3d-printer-kit

EDIT: I would probably go for the one @Mora got if you want one that large. Its only a little bit more and you get a bigger bed and its mostly put together. I should note that my instructions for my Tarantula were in chingrish and then halfway through it stops really even providing useful information, though its not really hard to figure out anyway from pictures.

I just bought a ryzen 1600 cpu for a future ITX build actually, however it only cost me $309 delivered.

With the CR-10 you can print a helmet sized object, say for cosplay etc? (I'm going to print the skyrim helmet once I install my new nozzle kit)

1 Like

So after some contemplating, I am thinking I will be getting this one. It has a large footprint, Ships right in Canada and its one heck of a good price.

EDIT: LINK ADDED LOL

1 Like

Seems pretty good, the control box seems pretty big addon but I guess it gives you somewhere to rest the filament.

Agreed. It looks pretty solid though over all, especially for the price, and it should be a good starter to learn on.

So a friend of mine just came over to show me what he printed from his Anet A8 printer... apparently you gotta do some mods on these ones... they ship with thin wire that has to be replaced, power supply and such otherwise there is huge danger of fires. Anyone know anything more about this? I haven't purchased one yet... Just being cautious. What he printed though was well done.

yes

said somewhere else

I have seen some images on youtube of wire melting issues, perhaps see if you can have a look at those. Its a common problem, printers drawing too many amps beyond what the wires gauge is rated.

A solution would be to change the heatbed arduino code to only draw say 230 and NOT 255, (255 is MAX power draw it can do). Thats if you didn't want to deal with the replacing wire gauge right away, you will find these settings in the ardunio configuration_main or whatever code (depends if marlin or repetier etc).

1 Like

Ya when he was telling me about fires I kinda got a little scared...So off to more research. I like your idea about modifying arduino code. That is pretty easy. Thanks.

Well I did it... I ordered this one from banggood... I had to .. they gave me 135$ off the purchase kicking it down to less then 550 delivered with insurance... in Canadian funds...

Good deal.

I've replaced the fans on mine with Noctua ones, only sound out of it now is the motors, which are no louder than a standard printer.

Still haven't had any issues with it, only problem I'm having is finding things I want to print :slight_smile:

Oh I got lots I want to print...I think my biggest problem is "where do I put it" lol. After the whole 3dprinter fire research, I had to double check this one. it seem to be made of sturdy stuff... better gauge wire etc.

Yep, it's a very solid printer. The control box is metal & the wiring inside is good.

I also noticed the wiring is braded for the most part... and the only thing I have seen that might be a concern is sometimes the print head wires come off... but I haven't seen too many of this particular issue. Have you had this issue as of yet? If so did you replace any wires or just solder them on?