3d printable mini stx case?

I had really serious problems with wet filament and this fixed it totally.
edit: This is not my design.

2 Likes

Bloody amazing. I’ll build one of these if I get the multimaterial feeder.

@wendell

I’ll try making a new front panel for a fan later this week, if the fit isn’t too tight I wonder if a front panel attached with some tiny magnets would work…

Anyways, how wide is that power supply? I used the dimensions for an SFX power supply from Intel, but your’s looks wider. Luckily that one is an easy enough fix if it is wider.

Seems like the dimensions are right but the psu is rotated 90 degrees?

@w.meri I think what I need is a new front mesh where the I/o cutout is shifted up half a Cm and there is a cut out near the middle for a slot loading cdrom. Lololololol slot loading cdroms.

You know what I’m doing. Hahahahahah

No need for a new design or case. Just a new front. :smiley:

I should be able to fit optane in here too.

I am using nylon standoffs to raise the Mobo a bit.

Muahahhahaah

Here is what we are working with, visually

So Io cutout a bit lower, less tall and wider for a cdrom.

And existing io cut out shifted up a bit.

Lololololol

1 Like

A very rough draft of a front panel with a spot for the slot load CD drive. Had to get some of the dimensions by using pixels of one of your photos. Hopefully it fits reasonably close on first try.

No idea why YouMagine isn’t doing the onebox thing ↓↓↓.

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/part4-cd-front-test

I plan on deleting those two standalone links once the dimensions are ironed out for the front panel and add the files to the main links so everything is in one place and easier to keep track of.

My next goal after the front panel is the rear panel and getting it tall enough sit vertically. It turns out there are at least five STX form factors and I think you have one of the 125mm wide ones. The feet/vertical mounting should be pretty easy though.

6 Likes

I cant smash that like button hard enough. lololololol this is going to be fun. I’m testing a picoPSU now.

edit: squee, its printing

1 Like

If anyone wants to try their hand at it here are the basic dimensions (mm) of the front panel.

export Like a baws.

Need to make the cd cutout a hair wider. It’s barely not wide enough. So maybe 5mm both sides?

Lol

8 Likes

Yeah, I realized the slot was probably just a hair too narrow on my way into a meeting this morning. Then I got to go to work and spend the day thinking about a space narrower than my little finger :roll_eyes: Turns out CDs are 120mm across, just like a case fan (next project = CD fan slot cover /s ).

I’ve made it 2mm wider on one side and 8mm on the other, I didn’t want to dig too deep into the outer “frame” of the panel. Everything else is unchanged.

The file with “r2” in the filename are the updated versions.

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/part4-cd-front-test

3 Likes

worked perfect.

Now I just need a skirt of some type… it’s sitting on its back so maybe just a 3 sided skirt with more random hex cutouts to hide the cables, and done?

I might just use slot cover cutouts because that’s kind of hilarious, though

This might be another long print, it’s 113mm tall, or a smidgen shorter than a slot cover. I think with this it would bring the entire case to 150x145x266 (5.9x5.7x10.5) all put together

I also just found out that we can upload .zip files to the forum. That’s pretty neat. Here’s just the new base/skirt:

Part4Base.zip (56.4 KB)

Everything is back into the original links. “Base” is the part above and “Front CD” is the new face.

8 Likes

This is ridiculous. In the best possible way.

12 Likes

Nice!

Does everything fit well?

Yep, pretty much. The case needs some better option for cable routing but not sure what to suggest. Maybe a u cutout under the motherboard.

Stand works great. I modded the case to support optane pcie connections to the m.2 for the video just to show off but final form will just be psu and regular nvme

I agree that looks pretty cool. Let’s hope that embedded UDOO Bolt computer kicks off on Kickstarter so us plebs can attemp this too.

it also reminds me of a toaster. New idea: having a radiator you can pop out and replace like a piece of toast when it gets too hot /s

1 Like

This Escher’d my brain hard for way too long. Now i can see the oddness anymore and it looks great but in the beginning I could not work it out.

3 Likes

I finally created a forum account to leave this comment.
This is awesome. I’m sorry I don’t have much to input other than my congratulations. I’ll be following this closely. I’ll attempt the print and get the parts so I can follow along!.

5 Likes

Just created an account as well and came to follow the progress. Looks like things design and printing wise things are pretty well handled. However if help is still needed I’s be more the happy to lend a hand on this project or others in the future.

1 Like