3d Printable I/O Backplates?

Used window unit $60.

@Braysive look at the post above you.

just got back home and tried the i/o shield.
i just cut the top off with a knive for this quick test fit.

@Positron

photo's

The thickness of the i/o shield is perfect!
however it seems to be about 1 or 2 mm to short (horizontally) the i/o shield i printed is just shy of 158 mm however there is some empty space (1 or 2 mm) on the sides when put into my case.

The hole sizes are perfect! however there's no wiggle room at all.

sadly the holes do not line-up right.
it's either everything below the hdmi is good or the hdmi and everything above.

3 Likes

I knew that would happen as @w.meri predicted.

If I was doing this at home and I had a 3D printer and the ability to precisely measure my own PC, it would be difficult to make it fit. Doing it online, without seeing the actual print or PC, is going to be a major pain in the ass. I will get to it, but I was up till 4AM doing the last one and I feel like crap today.

1 Like

you are very very close tho just need a few extra millimeter's between the hdmi and first usb3.0 ports (2 or 3 mm?)
if you'd add that i-am quite sure it'l fit.

don't feel obligated, take it easy :wink:
Not like i can't use my pc without it.

I am not sure I understand, but I did this revision. If I am wrong please markup the plan and return it for changes.

If one builds the model right (I planned ahead this time), changes are easy. When I made the overall size 2mm wider, luckily all of the other details moved around exactly right and I just had to revise the holes. Often when making one change I will find another thing is linked to it and that will move too. That's why when I increased the 7.65mm gap between HDMI and USB, the first USB didn't move and I had to change the dim to the edge back down to 7.11mm.
But I'm not sure if that is right?

1 Like

@Fawkes did a nice job with the 3D print (at least it fits this time), but I should have it nailed on the next revision.

More probably the junk Dell I measured has a proprietary non-standard cutout. The doc you found shows 6.25 inches wide and I measured 6.125 on the Dell.

Version 4 should fit finally, I hope and pray. :slight_smile:

Now I am confused. This version 5 is based on the dimensions provided above. I wish I had found them earlier. Version 4 is an iteration of what we have been working on so far (measuring a scaled photograph = dumb).

so i should print 5 and skip 4?

Version 4 is 2 minor changes to v3 and will definitely work. Print.

Version 5 is based on the new dimension document you provided and should work, but we would be starting over. Experimental.

I'll print the v5,
A model designed with the official ATX spec seems to me the better choice to build upon.

I-am quite busy these couple of days, don't know when i'll be able to print.

Necro/Sorry. What about a combo quick and dirty and also measuring setup that can solve many problems?

I am thinking of making a system where the pieces lock into each other and can be cut with scissors, also have integrated measuring marks.

Thought process is like so: Have a set of “test measuring tools” to get the Audio port measurement. They would have a U channel on the right edge and a single 3.5mm cutout with different Audio port hole spacing from the edge of case cutout. 2mm 5mm etc, (They could fit on a keyring for quick testing).

Once you determine that you print the full height audio jack temp piece that spans from the Right of the cutout, top to bottom of the cutout, with extra on the left. Markings indicate spacing to the next port. Merely trim to fit the next port to the left.

Then have a “square port” piece, with USB, USB+LAN, USB 4 port, USB and PS/2, HDMI, DP etc. It will have a U shape right edge to clip into the panel on its Right.

As you build it up you can also use the markings where you cut as a generator to make several of the test panels into one single panel. (to avoid confusion we should bake the measurements into A B C D etc, and let the program spit out the mm because we want to cut the panel halfway between ports, leaving room for the U channel connection).

Benefits: Making it many panels will allow it to work on smaller printers. They can clip in with motherboard already installed if you like. Printing off a bunch of popular plates lets you build it in the field with scissors.

Audio jack woes:
Maybe a blank Audio jack one and make it thin enough to use a large hole punch?

Or: Make the separate pieces lock into top and bottom of the cutout, at least for the Audio one, so the left right dimension no longer matters for the Audio panel. It can slide left right and get to where it needs.

Example: PRIME Z690M-PLUS D4 has 7 total IO port blocks. 3 of those are the same (2 USB), HDMI and DP might be served with the same cutout shape. Then you have the USB+ LAN and the Audio. so potentially it would need only 4 seperate prints, 3x copies of USB*2, and 2x Copies of “Video out”.