3d Printable I/O Backplates?

Great feedback. I was more concerned with the strength of a 0.5mm plate though. It holds no force but it may fall apart. I have had good luck painting a 3D print with epoxy for waterproofing, but it also made it really strong.

FYI:
I need to take a little break from the forum because I have been over doing it lately. Social media addiction is a bitch. But I will still work on the project and I'm sure I won't be able to stop myself from checking in.

I think for a backplate it's more than strong enough.
Use three layers and its really rigid!

No problem man :wink:

here are some pictures of i/o shields i got laying around. as you can see the tolerance's are quite large! especially around usb holes.
so oversize with 1mm is small compared to these.

1 Like

My original idea was something like an openscad model where you can pick the layout. Like the customizable models.

Lots of volunteers have offered to both customize and print backplates which helps a few
But an openscad model that is customizable solves the problem forever for everyone

Hmm...

3 Likes

I installed OpenSCAD and it looks powerful but I am too dumb to use it... yet. I am inept at modern programming. I used to write structural engineering BASIC in the 1980's until I figured out that others could do it 10x better and cheaper than me. You might say I am behind the times. :wink:

What I can do it provide 2D CAD dimension plans and I am re-learning how to output CAD parameters to a spreadsheet. That should help someone that knows how to program create an OpenSCAD model as you envisioned. I'm not giving up on OpenSCAD, it just has a steep learning curve.

1 Like

Today's progress.
Hopefully this can be useful to others. Especially someone that knows how to program OpenSCAD as @Wendell requested.

edit: This may be 2mm short in overall width. My measurement of a Dell backplate was 6-1/8" = 155.6mm.

Backplate model v2.

(I deleted the first try model that doesn't fit.)

@Fawkes This backplate design fits on the outside. Each side is 1mm bigger than the overall hole and the thickness at the I/O is 0.5mm. I forgot to add that the shield is 3 mm deep on the above dims. I figure if part of the outside edge is a little too big for your case due to an unforeseen obstruction, it should be easy to carve or sand to fit.

I simplified the openings a lot by combining them. Once I looked at your photo I realized that individual holes for each USB port in a row wouldn't matter and only make more places where it wouldn't fit.

6 Likes

That backplate looks really cool!
Excellent!
i'll print it this afternoon.

i kind of like those big holes *edit, giggety

1 Like

Ooopsie... I forgot the one thing without which no PC is complete.

2 Likes

That rgb goodness. LOL

1 Like

i lied, i thought f it i'll print it right away so i can use it when i-am back home again.
so i just arrived at work and my printer has pooped this out (webcam via octoprint which i can see anywhere). :smiley:

6 Likes

Holy shit this is useful

I can finally print out IO plates to forget to put in until I've completely built the PC

3 Likes

Not to mention warping of prints in the first place. If you're using an fdm printer like most of us, abs shrinks so you need not of trial prints to work out if it's even going to fit. With PLA, if you have a warm computer, chances are it will go soft and warp anyway. Heatsink that allows hot air to hit it? Chance of some melting. Nylon is an option but most fdm printers don't support nylon

if your computer gets this hot you’ve got major other problems.
The air temperature has to be above 60c for that to happen (not even thinking about that the backplate is cooled with air from the other side).

that’s just not true. my printer print’s nylon no problem.

1 Like

Well when you consider warmer climates, that’s very much possible with an aircooler. Had days in Summer in Australia where temperatures rose above 50C. Add the ambient internal temp of a computer and you can easily hit 60C when under heavy load

Did Australia become a 3rd world county without air conditioning?

Not everyone can afford aircon

If you cant afford air con, I doubt you can afford a 3d Printer.

2 Likes

All I need is a straight on / squared up photo of the I/O area and the design can be modified for your PC.
I can also share the original CAD file for others to modify, if there is a way to do that here.
I use PTC Creo, but it can save / translate into nearly any other format. Except for OpenSCAD.

However I was able to import into OpenSCAD, but one can't edit so that isn't very useful. Maybe I provide the detailed universal solid plate and an OpenSCAD user can program the holes?

edit: This model has been revised to be 2mm wider.

3D printer, $300. Aircon, $4,000. Oh right, 3D printer is so much more expensive -_-

2 Likes

I'll help with some models in a few weeks.

1 Like

don't go off topic please.
We all know it's possible and feasible.
You don't have to participate.
Let's from now on take steps forward instead of backwards and end this discussion.

1 Like